Level 7 Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bear Mom

Does a Front Tuck step out, front handspring fill the requirements for the front tumbling pass for Level 7 Floor? My daughter can do this but cannot get enough rebound to execute the front handspring, front tuck pass. Her coaches won't let her do the first; its this or nothing. They say if she can do it on the tumble track she can do it on the floor. She now has to do Prep Optional and leave this out; doing 2 front handsprings.
They also won't let her do a roundoff instead of a backhandspring on beam.

It does fulfill the requirements. It's what I do. However, this is my last year in gymnastics so progressing to higher-level tumbling passes are not a concern for me. Her coaches probably feel that a front handspring front tuck is more conducive to advanced tumbling skills. That is the same thing with beam: it is best to learn a backhandspring and learn it early if you want to do upper level beam acro.

It fulfills the requirements but I would avoid it for several reasons. This has a low margin of error for a intermediate gymnast (landing on one leg, could lead to injury) particularly when the child in question does not have a strong front handspring. In fact, if she did not have a strong front handspring, I am not sure why she would even be attempting this pass at all as she should work on front handspring drills to advance her front tumbling, not anything else.

It's also likely to get deductions unless it's well executed.

Lastly my personal requirement for any level 7 I'm coaching would be front handspring front tuck as well, unless there was an injury issue that didn't allow it and then hypothetically they would substitute front handspring bounder or would take time to not compete. If they cannot execute this pass then personally I feel they have not achieved the level 7 section of overall tumbling progressions and need to continue to work on the previous level.

My DD is level 7 and I don't know the technical answer. I do know our gymmies do the front handspring front tuck as the minimum requirement (of the gym) for level 7 competitions. Ours also require the BHS(as a minimum) on beam, though I believe there are other possible skills to fulfill this requirement on beam.

It sounds like the coach feels she's able to learn the front hand-front tuck. It likely boils down to her needing to hear the corrections and making changes to reflect the corrections, or maybe she thinks she's doing exactly as told....and it doesn't work.

These are pretty normal problems, so don't think your dd isn't trying hard enough because that's often not the problem. She needs to confirm the correction with her coach, verify that the coach knows she isn't putting the correction into action, and follow that up with changes that can be felt physically. That process will result in efforts that are either worse...or better, and the trick is to know which the better ones are...and repeat the attempt the same way......over and over again (repeat as needed).

Bottom line.....Gymnastics learning can come about through a process that includes a series of experimental efforts done in a safe and supervised setting. There are other, more direct methods, but when a kid seems "stuck" after exhausting the "go to" corrections it's time for a little guess work on the part of both the coach and the gymnast....with both on the same "page".

The others have answered the basic question. I just wanted to add that dd often has trouble bringing a new skill from tumble track to floor even when the coaches are telling her that she is ready to transition a skill to floor, but she always thinks she is not fast enough or not high enough. About a year ago, she started using the rod floor as a transition and this has worked well for her. I guess it has just enough bounce to help with the transition. So she now goes from tumble track to rod to regular floor with mats for landing.

You are correct; they say that she can learn the FHS/FT. I believe that part of the problem is that my daughter is very sensitive and when she is being yelled at, she shuts down. She responds well to positive coaching, but when they are degrading and yelling, she seems to go backwards. I couldn't understand why they won't let her do the skill that fulfills the requirement while still working on the ones that she has difficulties with. Other girls at her gym have been allowed to do this, but she is not.

Proud Parent: what is a "rod floor"?

It literally is a raised floor made of rods on a frame with floor padding on top [or at least that what I understand it to be). Think of a tumble track frame but with rods going across ( not lengthwise). It provides more spring than a spring floor, but not as much as the tumble track. Its noisy too:) .

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back