WAG Level 7 vs level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dka

Proud Parent
How big is the difference between level 7 and level 8? My dd completed level 6 last season, but has been training with the level 8 group. The HC wants her to compete level 8. She is ready on bars and beam and working yurchenkos on vault. Not sure if she is working the proper skills on floor though. On beam she has BH-BH and round off BT dismount
bars- is her best event. She will do pirouette, 2 giants and has a clear hip handstand. Vault she is working yurchenkos and tsuk. Not sure on floor though. Season does not start until January, but I am a little concerned about skipping. She is 10 years old and started gym at 7.

My daughter skipped 7 last year. The biggest event jump is vault. Bars, if they're strong is incremental and so is beam. Floor the big thing is the 2 salto pass, but even if they aren't great front tumblers you can use the whip back for that requirement. The biggest thing is flipping and landing the vault, but in the youngest age group (where my daughter was too) we saw quite a few still doing front handsprings.

I think bars (particularly if the gymnast does not have her giants) and flipping the vault are the hardest if you skip L7. If she is strong on bars, then just flipping her vault may be the only skill she'll need. My daughter's good friend skipped L7 and she was not particularly a strong gymnast. She had a catastrophic first meet. But did ok after that. Unfortunately, she did not make regionals. The mom and the gymnasts were the ones who pushed for move up. In your case, it was the coach. In addition, your daughter sounds more well prepared. I think she'll be fine. The jump from L6 to L7 is all about the giants. From L7 to L8, it is flipping the vault. I would not be concerned about her skipping L7.

And of course by "skipping" you mean competing one meet at 7 and moving onto 8 (just so folks don't get the wrong impression). And also to be clear, are you talking old 7 to old/new 8 or new 7 to old/new 8 (since 8 doesn't change)?

Yes skipping for my daughter was scoring out at 1 level 7 meet. She used judges cup since it was before the official season.

My daughter was not a strong compulsory gymnast at all.

She competed old 6 last year and is skipping to new level 8... Her bars are her strongest event. She is actually more advanced on them than the girls that competed 7 last year. My worry is floor- coach is not concerned the because she can flip the vault and bars are very strong. By the way she was an average at best level 4 gymnast and 5( 34-35AA)She took off in level 6... I guess I'm a bit nervous as I don't want her to crash and burn, she is so excited though and comes home every day telling me the new skills etc....

It sounds like your daughter should do fine (my DD will be a L8 this year as well). Trust the coaches. On floor she'll need 4 Bs and 4 As just like all other events. Most girls will have a back tumbling pass with a half or full. They'll have a front tumbling pass with a pike or front layout. A number of dance moves will satisfy other B requirements (1 1/2 turn, switch leap, et al). If she can do it, they can substitute 1 B tumbling skill for a C skill on all events. It's my understanding from other posters on this site that the scoring will be a little different in L7 than L8. There's a .2 deduction for the content. One poster mentioned that the judges likely won't take off anything for no C skill, but entertainment value may be a consideration as well. Try not to worry!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back