Parents level 8 states best meet of year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well my dd ended her 2nd year of level 8 on a high note. In addition to having no falls on any event she scored her highest level 8 AA! She also competed with a very painful heel/tendon. Luckily vault was last as it caused the most pain and she barely made it through. She was .75 off from making the Regional All Star Team. Video will be posted to our youtube page.

Now I look forward to a summer of new skills (I hope) and fixing form!
Decisions, decisions for next year-stay 8 or move to 9?
She should have all 9 skills as she has several now. Coach would like to keep her at 8 and add some skills and aim to make the Regional team and up her AA. There will also likely be an actual level 8 team next season as this year my 2 dd's were the only level 8's and my other dd couldn't finish the season due to back pain.
What does anyone suggest? We have lots of time and we need to see what she thinks as the summer comes to an end. There are currently 2 level 9's so she would be the 3rd. There could possibly be 6 level 8's next year including her.
I must say I am stuck on the number (as her coach says). I love the idea of her being a level 9 next year (she is currently 7th grade, 13 yrs old).

First, congrats! Second, that is a tough question. I suppose it depends on what the coach and your daughter think is best. It depends on the kind of kid she is- will the stress of a new level be a lot on a kid her age- the age they all seem to think about doing other things- or will a new level be energizing and maybe put off that curiosity about what other kids do in their free time?

Congrats to your daughter!! Sounds like she really finished out the year well. As far as next year--what does your daughter want to do? And is her coach just looking at doing well with a level 8 team or is he thinking about what she is ready for?

Congrats to your daughter, she did great! I have no good advice as far as mobility but I hope things become clearer for you over the summer. I hope her heel/tendon feels better, that has to be rough!

Congrats to your dd for finishing strong. As to move up, L9 is a big jump from L8---much more than L7 to L8. Just getting the skills to have 9.7SVs on bars, beam and floor can take months then add in learning all the connections to try and get bonus tenths.
Doesn't sound like you have to make a decision right away, so maybe good to just see how things come along for the next few months and go from there. If she stayed at L8 for another year, would the coach be open to letting her practice some L9 skills as well as L8? Sometimes that's a good solution and allows her to start L9 very well prepared.

Nice job for first year Level 8, but I am thinking that a second year, especially when she is just 13, would be even better and get her more prepared for the next level. As stated by gym law mom, each level gets harder and harder and it does not hurt to "sharpen" the skills she is currently at to have her more prepared for the next level and get her a few more tenths added to her scores.

Congrats to your dd for finishing strong. As to move up, L9 is a big jump from L8---much more than L7 to L8. Just getting the skills to have 9.7SVs on bars, beam and floor can take months then add in learning all the connections to try and get bonus tenths.
Doesn't sound like you have to make a decision right away, so maybe good to just see how things come along for the next few months and go from there. If she stayed at L8 for another year, would the coach be open to letting her practice some L9 skills as well as L8? Sometimes that's a good solution and allows her to start L9 very well prepared.
Thanks for the great advice. You brought up very good points about how the scoring is different and perhaps more difficult. My hope is that he has her train L9 skills as you said and then decide what is best to compete in the fall. She should be ok as far as vault and bars. Beam and floor might be a little trickier for her as far as skills go. I guess we just wait. Funny thing is that since States is over she has been much more excited to go to practice and get "better"! Where was that motivation all season? lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back