WAG Level 8 Vault Changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Then here's a question then about the front entry family from a parent with a boy and a girl (neither of whom will ever ever ever do a front entry vault, haha!). I know the guys train these and compete them successfully and you do see it in JO/JE because it's progressive. What I've always heard is that the front entry vaults aren't trained as much as Yurchenko/Tsuk for the girls because it's much harder for them to progress them. So my question: if you had a girl who was a good hand front vaulter with knees of steel, what vault would she be doing as a L10 that would have a 10.0 SV?

It's also so interesting that the boys can do hand front at L8 but not Yurchenko, and the girls can do Yurchenko at L8 but not hand front.

I am also super intrigued by Paul Ruggeri's vault (Yurchenko entry with a 1/2 twist on the way in and then doubled off).

Then here's a question then about the front entry family from a parent with a boy and a girl (neither of whom will ever ever ever do a front entry vault, haha!). I know the guys train these and compete them successfully and you do see it in JO/JE because it's progressive. What I've always heard is that the front entry vaults aren't trained as much as Yurchenko/Tsuk for the girls because it's much harder for them to progress them. So my question: if you had a girl who was a good hand front vaulter with knees of steel, what vault would she be doing as a L10 that would have a 10.0 SV?

It's also so interesting that the boys can do hand front at L8 but not Yurchenko, and the girls can do Yurchenko at L8 but not hand front.

I am also super intrigued by Paul Ruggeri's vault (Yurchenko entry with a 1/2 twist on the way in and then doubled off).
Front pike half is a 10.1 or a tuck full, or lay Or a Cuervo or anything harder. But even a clean front H spring front Pike will out score the chenko Lay full in L 10. However the colleges obviously want to see a 10 vault, and at Nationals you will not win without a 10.1 or a 10 start.
Both of these kids are working front pike half. Kendal would have competed it last season but she injured out.
Kendal score 9.7 in L 10, she also won state with this vault (9.8 start value).

Ellie

DS's new coach has had him back off his FHS-FT vault and train the usual Tsuk for L8 - I'm not sure if its because he wants him to learn a different entry or if the Front front he was doing (even landing) wasn't really done right/safely and could have ended up causing injury. He had a little trouble with consistency as a L7 with vault landings because his Yami was so powerful and his control is not always there so I'm guessing that's why - no need to lose a knee over L8 gymnastics! I do hope he gets to do it again later, though because he almost had it piked and his twisting is only slowly coming along....

DD gym is (at least as of this week - change is fast and furious and totally unpredictable there this last year) presently requiring all L8s to do a flipping vault or scratch for the first time ever this year, and that's part of what's keeping several girls slated for repeating L7 AGAIN all of a sudden. Not sure how this fits with the new changes, and the girls in level 6/7 have not in the past done much in the way of flipping drills - so lots will have to change. I'm hoping they at least consider spotting or making exceptions for the girls already repeating L8 who can not flip yet - and really start preparing the girls stuck repeating so they will be ready and safe....could be a good thing for those not too disheartened by it...

Oh my goodness, CoachP, does she have a block! Wow! Thanks for sharing!

We have a girl and a couple of boys messing with front entry vaults but the gym's best vaulters on the boys' side are tsuk/kas and the girls are Yurchenko. The boys' program director has already said that the eventual plan for DS is Yurchenko -- I think he's looking ahead to L10 tech sequences and not seeing a front pike. Gracy, it's the same thing for DD's team. Girls without a flipping vault or looking close to one repeat L7 and they don't compete FHS. If they can't flip or lose their flip, they do that awful roundoff entry, 1/2 off vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back