Parents Liv's bar progress (L5)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

Ok so it's still undecided if Liv will be able to compete L5 in the fall or repeat L4. She is very determined to compete L5. They are still uptraining L5 and L6 skills and she seems to be progressing nicely. (but what do I know....I am just the mama!) As a matter of fact I don't think she's worked any level 4 skills other than the ones in both L5 and L4.

I posted a video of her L5 low bar routine. She is working on connecting kip to FHC. She played around with it a bit. She still has alot of work to do. At open gym on Saturday nights they do not allow high bar. So she was not able to show high bar but her tap swings are not bad and neither is her dismount. She says Level 5 dismount is easier than L4. And I think for her it is.

Here's the link: YouTube - Bar Skills Olivia age 7

I think she looks great. I bet she ends up competing level 5. She has so much time still. :)

She looks great! She should definitely compete Level 5 in the fall. She will be way ready. I remember the first time I saw the Level 5 bar dismount. I was like, is that it?!! :D

Why is it still undetermined? What more are the coaches expecting from her that they're not seeing? I'm guessing if she's that determined, she'll get there! Looks like she's doing well!

She is doing very well! How is her handstand coming on beam - I think that was her undecided move wasn't it? She is very young so another year of 4 won't harm her if she gets the chance to uptrain. But maybe the challenge of 5 is what she really wants. Have you asked her coaches when they will make a final decision. They might put it off till quite late because of livs age and just see how she does.

BTW I saw Julia's skating how cute is she! She looks so comfortable out on that ice. It is such a big space to be all on your own I think it would be more scary than doing a gym meet. Good for her. I know nothing about ice skating but she looked really really good to me. lol.

She is doing very well! How is her handstand coming on beam - I think that was her undecided move wasn't it? She is very young so another year of 4 won't harm her if she gets the chance to uptrain. But maybe the challenge of 5 is what she really wants. Have you asked her coaches when they will make a final decision. They might put it off till quite late because of livs age and just see how she does.

BTW I saw Julia's skating how cute is she! She looks so comfortable out on that ice. It is such a big space to be all on your own I think it would be more scary than doing a gym meet. Good for her. I know nothing about ice skating but she looked really really good to me. lol.

Gymnut, her handstands on beam seem to be getting better according to Liv. She has come home several times saying she held it for 2 or 3 seconds. Once she said she held it for 4 seconds vertical which is a big deal for her. I would imagine she will continue to improve her confidence on beam with time. She has also seemed to overcome all of her fears (HS on beam, Jump to high bar etc.)

Another skill that has been causing her problems is her vault over the table which she has been doing with a light spot and sometimes by herself. It is not a great vault and I don't think it will be for a while but she is clearing the table. If she does happen to compete L5 in the fall I do not expect her to break 7's on vault. But who knows she does like to surprise me!?!?!

Also her FHS on floor is looking a little less squaty. Her dive roll needs more aptitude but her back extension roll is ok.

Last night she connected her L6 low bar routine-kip, cast, freehip, kip again. She was very excited.

I am really not pushing one way or the other just yet with her coaches. As long as she continues to be challenged and progressing. Now once summer is near coming to end I will inquire and push for what she is ready for and wants to do.

She also has her first TOPS testing in a month and half. She still needs work there too. She is soo close but yet sooo far!!!

Well...first...let me say that she looks WAY better than my 9 y.o. who IS a L5 on the L5 bars routine...:eek:

Our gym just does things differently as far as move ups. My 9 y.o. had NO L5 skills when she was moved up to L5 except cartwheel on beam. Our gym bases move ups only on AA scores and we don't uptrain much, which I don't love. So it's hard for me to imagine Liv not moving up with those great skills!!! I think she will be ready, if she is safe and ok getting over the vault. I know that can be a big deal for some young L5's.

Tell her she looks great and to keep on working hard! You can tell how hard she works just by watching. So cool!:)

Just going on bars alone, she should definitely do L5, I think. Her kips are better and more connected to the front hip than my 8yo who was a L5 this year. However, my dd was moved up to L5 without any kips and didn't make one until a month before the first meet, so your dd looks more than ready to me. As long as the other events are coming along, why not?

I normally say to stay another year when in doubt. But, in this case I'm not so sure. Her bar kip-fhc is beautiful for someone who hasn't competed it yet.

When comes fall and if she doesn't move up, I would speculate that it is due to her vault, as that is more of a safety concern.

NotAMom,

I totally agree! Her vault needs to come around for her to compete in the fall. When she's talked to me about it she mentions clearing the table with a spot. She is working on shape and getting off the table quickly. She's done it alone a few times lately. Now they vault onto a mat in the pit. I have no idea how she would do it landing on the floor.

Last season I saw some pretty scary vaults from little level 5's. I don't want dd to be one of those where people are cringing to see vault! Besides, I think her coaches really want her to feel successful at competitions.

They've made a few changes in the gym lately. It seems like Olivia's level 4 group of girls are training to compete level 5. And the level 5 girls Olivia was with originally are now training optionals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle may not move up because of vault as well. She's incredibly frustrated because she has almost the entire L5 bar routine and does the beam beautifully. She's not nearly as good a tumbler as your daughter though.

I agree with Mariposa, she is well on her way and there is plenty of time to learn all the skills--especially if your gym is like my DD, they really amp it up come summer. I also remember thinking in July--how is this all going to come together by Sept. and it's amazing how it does!!! :)

Thanks gymmomof1, it seems like Liv's gym likes the girls to have skills a year before competing. Last season there were level 3's with kips and ROBHS. They uptrain a ton. The idea is to have all skills for the level above competition level and introduced to skills two level above.

For instance dd is working (being introduced to free hip circles, baby giants, bwo on beam, ROBHBT etc) She is perfecting Level 5 skills. If she fails to have them all "perfect" then she'll compete level 4 again.

DD's biggest issues are on beam. During her level 4 season she played safe and wouldn't go for the big jumps, leaps etc. She developed fears of going vertical on beam. However, lately these issues seemed to be resolved. She is jumping and leaping much higher and with great form. Yesterday she was practicing her vertical handstands and they were gorgeous! If she continues to improve and pefect her skills over the summer she may very well compete level 5 but as of right now she competing level 4!! She is determined to prove herself to her coaches (especially pregnant HC who is very tough)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back