Long-time lurker! Surprised by recent posts!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym-mini

Proud Parent
Hello CB!! I have lurked around this site for a good year now. I have a 7 year old who just finished up her first L4 season. I have gotten TONS of advice just by lurking and reading others' posts.

Just wanted to say that I have found this site to be supportive of all gymmies and parents, regardless of the gymmies "abilities" or the parents humility (or lack thereof!). So I was really surprised that one person kind of turned things ugly here...for a brief moment. I think what makes this site so great, is that each person here has an opinion and should feel free to express that opinion....you as a parent/gymmie/coach can feel free to take the advice or leave it.

Have a great day!:D

Today was the most challenging day as a MOD. I am gad that someone gets it! Thank you. The hours put in here for free by GT and I are unbelievable and we do our best to keep things happy for everyone.

We are supportive of every gymmie, I do not think in all the years as a mod I have EVER not congratulated every parent who has posted with their "brag".

Now lets all agree that advice given, and opinions shared, do not have to be taken or agreed with. EVER!

I agree. I love the CB. I think that it is a great place and LOVE all the different personalities and opinions. I would hate to come here just to have everyone agree with everyone and not post any opposing view points. How boring. And no one learns from that.

Stop lurking and start posting! I have a 7 year old level 4, too. Welcome!

:applause:And thanks to our awesome moderators. It is a thankless job that they do for FREE.

I think you handled yourself quite well! Thanks for volunteering your time!!! You are appreciated!!!

It was well worth it as now you are out of lurkdom. Welcome to the CB community and tell us some more anbout you. I have a 13 year old and a 10 year old in the gym, and a 17 year old son away at college.

Thanks for the welcome, mariposa and bog! Sorry I lurked so long, but I felt compelled to post after today's events.

That said...I am a mother of 3....2 boys and 1 girl (my gymmie). We are in Texas and my daughter started gymnastics about a year and a half ago. So we are fairly new to gymnastics, but love it! She had a great L4 season and she is looking forward to L5...should find out about moving up in a month or so! Glad to have a break from competitions for a while though!

I agree. I love the CB. I think that it is a great place and LOVE all the different personalities and opinions. I would hate to come here just to have everyone agree with everyone and not post any opposing view points. How boring. And no one learns from that.

Stop lurking and start posting! I have a 7 year old level 4, too. Welcome!

:applause:And thanks to our awesome moderators. It is a thankless job that they do for FREE.

I agree Mariposa!!! And I want to second that thanks to the Mods--they do a wonderful job and it has got to be a very challenging job at that!!

I love the fact that there are so many different personalities, opinions, views and experiences on the CB--it is what makes it so worthwhile and I too, learn a lot about myself and gymnastics from reading all the posts and responses. There are many times I didn't like hearing what was said about my opinions, but, that is sometimes when you learn the most about yourself--like Mariposa said earlier.

I am glad you came out of lurkdome!!! Nice to meet you!!!

I also wanted to say thank you to the moderators. I love this website.

I missed the drama (which is good because I tend to get caught up in that type of thing), but I wanted to hop on and thank the mods and owners of the board. I think you do a tremendous job.

I lurked for most of this year before I started posting and I have learned so much from it. Almost every week I say something at the gym and the other moms say "how do you know that...." and it's all from CB.

Sometmes it is hard to feel supported when you have a problem without a simple solution. A lot of people (especially those with more experienced athletes) on this board are realists and sometimes have the attitude of "yes, that sucks, but that's they way it is and we all go through it..." and often that is true, but sometimes it can feel a little less than supportive. Then again, that's a good perspective to get, and usually there's another newbie mom who says "oh, I understand you poor thing..."

Anyway, thanks again for the great forum. I am now inspired to write my first ever meet report (from Sectionals) so hopefully I'll have that posted today or tomorrow.

I was away this weekend, looks like I missed the drama too. But I would also like to thank the moderators, Bog & GT for their tireless efforts! They keep CB a WONDERFUL place for gymnasts, coaches, parents & fans of the sport we all love.

I cannot tell you how much I have learned from this site, the friends I have made & the support I have received. It is irreplaceble, as I found when it was down for a few days...I went into withdrawl symptoms!

No we don't all agree here all the time. But who wants to hear a bunch of "yes men" all the time??? Not me! We learn from hearing each others different perspectives & views. That is exactly what I DO love about this place. It's good for each of us to get a reality check now & again.

But most importantly I do think we all have a certain level of respect for each other. If it's not there initially either the mods point the poster in the right direction or other posters do.

What we really need to remember is that there is a person behind each of these posts. And alot of what is posted are OPINIONS. I have no problem with reading anyones opinions, whether it differs from my own or not. But I will say that adding a JMHO or IMHO seems to soften the blow sometimes. JMHO ;).

I would like to extend a warm welcome to gym-mini! Congrats to your DD on L4! Is she going to start uptraining now for L5? Oh how I would love to go back to those days:). Enjoy every second of it, they grow up quickly. And thank you for starting an important thread right off the bat! Welcome to my addiction:D!

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and although you don't know me, I have been lurking so long, I feel like I know each of you!

gymjourneymom--thanks! They have been uptraining L5 for a while...she has all of her L5 skills (got her kip on Halloween!), she just needs to clean them up...straight arm kip, better landing on front hs, etc.
I am also addicted to this sport...but shhhhh! don't tell my daughter!! We are definitely enjoying the experience, wherever it leads!

Welcome!! My older DD also just finished L4 and will be L5 next year...not quite as advanced as your DD in terms of her new L5 skills...but...she's learning. I also have a 6 yr old who will likely be L4 by the fall/spring.:)

I also want to say thanks to the mods and to all the people here who read, listen, support, and take the time to answer questions. "Gym" takes up such a huge part of all our lives and even though it is not "our" sport...it obviously consumes a lot of our lives through the time and money spent on it. It is so nice to be able to relate to others who find themselves in the same strange circumstances...(I often say to myself..."what am I DOING???"). I often come here for some reading of old posts and a reality check break from some of the craziness of the gym!!!

Glad you came out of lurkdom. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and although you don't know me, I have been lurking so long, I feel like I know each of you!

gymjourneymom--thanks! They have been uptraining L5 for a while...she has all of her L5 skills (got her kip on Halloween!), she just needs to clean them up...straight arm kip, better landing on front hs, etc.
I am also addicted to this sport...but shhhhh! don't tell my daughter!! We are definitely enjoying the experience, wherever it leads!

Let me just say I LOVE your attitude already:D!!! Sounds like your DD is moving right along! I hope you'll keep us posted on her progress! Good luck to her in L5!!!

Just wanted to say WELCOME to the CB. My DD is a L5 (9) who is going to be repeating. My daughter is like fine wine...she takes her time! She was struggling this year on the L5 floor routine (anything leap or split) and going over the vault table. We are in "off season" right now so I am not here as much as I used to be, and feel sooo guilty about not being able to "give back" or respond to the posts like I used too, but I have three kids and they seem to get more time online than I do lately. Glad you came out of lurkdom and hope to hear more about your DD too.

I was on here this morning and skimmed a couple posts. There was one in particular that I just would not have responded too so I am wondering if that was the drama I missed, LOL, but what I love about here is that there are all different walks of life...and you will find someone you can relate too! We *all* have some very talented gymmies here...maybe not talented as in AA's or with the bling, but talented in their love & devotion to their sport which brings us all together here!!

THANK YOU to all the moderators who keep this board going....this is a wonderful place for all to enjoy. And, sometimes things turn ugly and require a Judge Judy, so THANK YOU again on the way you handle those problems that arise amongst our little community!

Blackie6---thanks for the welcome!
I think that is one of the things that fascinates me about this sport...each gymnast progresses at his/her own pace, so it keeps you guessing...never a dull moment!
I'm really worried about the fhs over the vault table! Flat-backs on a mat are one thing, but springing over that table is a horse of a different color!

My daughter's biggest issue is consistency...at one meet she would have a great floor and bar routine, and mediocre beam and vault. Then the next meet she would rock vault and beam, but just do okay on the other two! I guess that comes with time....learning to "compete!" But for a kid who had only been in gymnastics for 6 months before joining team, she did awesome...if I must say so myself!;)

I just want to say (again) that I got stuck with CB because it was the best gymnastics related forum I found after a long time search. A lot of the appeal has to do with the membership: the diversity, the support, the empathy, the knowledge base, the tolerance etc., all without much ego and confrontation displayed albeit the encouraged "brags". Even more so, what makes CB such a great place to hang is its moderators. Their response, attention to details and support on these forums are unmatched.

As for the offended thread, I feel that was unfortunate. I think I have exchanged with the individual poster before but I never felt any of her posts would go so far to strike a flame and be so offended by its responses. On second thought, it's not all that unusual for a person to put things in the form of a question (or solicitation for help) only to look for a confirmation or agreement on what he/she believes. This happens all the time in life and certainly a lot in other online communities; but hardly ever here.

BTW, gym-mimi, welcome to the group. Stick around. Better yet, keep posting and let the fun begin.

I also missed the drama, but I posted on another forum anyway. I'm assuming that's "the drama?" Anyway, this is a great place to express joys, disappointments, EVERYTHING that has to do with gymnastics. Because as we know, the "regular" people out there just don't "get us!" HA HA!!!

Also, everyone has a different opinion on how to handle situation that arises, and that's what makes this place so great!!! As several other posters had said, it's great to take all the advice, take some time to "digest" what is said and it truly does help us either put things in perspective (greatly needed with this sport); or helps us come to an intelligent decision about what's going on in our own lives!

And a THOUSAND TIMES THANK YOU to the moderators who make all of this happen!!!

First off, welcome gym-mini. This is a wonderful place for parents, gymmies, and coaches alike.

Thank you Bog and mods for all you do to keep this board running smoothly and civilly. I have learned so much in the year and a half I"ve been around. I don't post much, but I do read daily (actually, I'd post a heck of a lot more if I was allowed to respond to the parent forum! All of your gymmies are AMAZING in so many different ways) I really enjoy reading about everyone's journeys through this crazy sport. It makes me a better coach when I understand the parent's point of view--what's important, what frustrates you, what helps, what doesn't, etc. And of course the other coaches on this forum have provided so much valuable technical information that I have brought back to the gym. I have become a better coach.

Thank you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back