Off Topic Makeup at meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just a question for you. The first time I ever competed I was 12 years old and I was shocked to learn that makeup and glitter of any kind was prohibited at all meets for my gym. I was very upset because I saw so many girls with light makeup and glitter in there hair. Does your gym have the same rules?

We see a lot of teen girls wear make up at meets and everyone seems to wear glitter. We have never bothered to figure out gym rules regarding it because my DDs (12&14) don't understand why anyone wants to wear makeup for gym. I guess we will cross that bridge when they change their minds about it, but I happen to agree with my girls.

I can see teens wearing a small amount of makeup, but the HC does tell all the new compulsory parents not to put any on them. They do use glitter spray on their hair.

Our gym is no make up, no nail polish and although some hair glitter is allowed no one does it. The teenage girls probably wear a little mascara or something but it isn't dance or cheer intensity, more like everyday make up.

Edited to add: we're even conservative with hair. Hair is straight back in a bun or pony but only if pony isn't past the nape of the neck.

i put a little makeup on my 10 year old for meets. no one has said anything about not doing it so im assuming they are fine with it.

My gym asks that no one wears make up, and absolutely no glitter. Out of respect, especially for those doing backward rolls on floor. It could leave a mess and imo it looks little kiddish.

We are told specifically no makeup (teens included), no nail polish, no glitter of any kind. That said, I have seen teams at meets with tons of glitter o_O, and I've seen girls from other gyms appear to be wearing makeup. I have not looked closely enough at other teams to notice any nail polish. We literally keep nail polish remover in the car in case DD forgets this rule en route to meet.:rolleyes:

I think basic 'neutral' makeup to smooth out skin tone or a little mascara for older girls should be acceptable. Makeup on 8 year olds, or full on dramatic makeup on teens for competitions, though, seems over the top to me. Just my personal taste for the sport. And I am a person who has glued fake eyelashes and hair extensions on a 5 year old for a musical performance on stage , so I am not anti-makeup - I just like to see the sport of gymnastics focus on girls' athleticism and grace, rather than painted-on facial 'beauty'. I understand the use of heavy makeup for, say, a dance performance under stage lights to bring out a 'character', and college gym girls can do whatever they wish that makes them feel powerful, but I am going to be very sad if girls JO gymnastics ever moves into a standard where the 'glitz' makeup is the norm.

And personally, I hate glitter for gymnastics. Why anyone in the world thinks glitter is a good idea to bring into a gym environment is beyond me. Glitter for singing on stage? Sure. Tweens and teens going to a dance or out to a special event? Sure. But seriously, I wish it were banned for gym. Too messy! Unnecessary. Save the sparkle for the leos ;):p

Gosh. In my dd's compulsory days there was glitter all around. I'm surprised so many gyms say no glitter. I wonder if that's a new trend. She didn't wear makeup, but that's many because she stopped at 13. I think the older girls wore makeup.

Dd, level 7, 11 years old, uses glitter! I love glitter! We don't do make-up or polish. I am not offended by too much glitter nor am I offended by someone who doesn't wear glitter at all. To each his own! In the end, it truly comes down to talent. But if glitter makes my dd feel a little extra special then glitter she shall have!
Again, it's a personal preference! Do what feels right!

No glitter except in hair. No obvious make up.

But along these lines. What would happen if a teen had a tattoo????

I have not seen them on a gymnast yet, but I know teens who have them. I work in health care, if you have a tattoo it needs to be covered at work. I wonder if the same applies to gymnasts

Beyond the college kids who do the college logos type temporary thing on their faces.

There are plenty of tatts at the elite level and they don't cover them. Alicia Sacramone was the first female elite I can think of with one and she used to cover it, but now nobody does that.

I wonder about JO though. I doubt there's a rule. When my DD was in all-star cheer she had teammates with tattoos. I don't think they had to cover them.

Old gym: glitter in hair for compulsory and the girls from middle school on up got makeovers at Sephora to learn to match eye make-up to leo. New gym: no glitter or make-up allowed. I prefer the no make-up, at least until high school. I thought the glitter was okay, but it's nice not getting it all over everything.

No glitter except in hair. No obvious make up.

But along these lines. What would happen if a teen had a tattoo????

I have not seen them on a gymnast yet, but I know teens who have them. I work in health care, if you have a tattoo it needs to be covered at work. I wonder if the same applies to gymnasts

Beyond the college kids who do the college logos type temporary thing on their faces.
I was a camp this weekend and saw a gymnast with 2 tattoos, clearly visible even in here competition leotard so I'm not sure

Our girls were told it's a JO rule that they are not to have nail polish. The most senior female coach forbids makeup. Glitter spray is permitted but tends to phase out by about age 10 or 11.

One of the boys' team members occasionally gets a bit of stinkeye from the program director for his use of hair product, but he's not quite into Sam Mikulak territory yet. The program director will strongly encourage haircuts if he thinks the hair is not short enough. One of his former athletes had an awesome head of hair that grew really fast and he enjoyed tweaking the PD by wearing it in a full afro right up until a day or two before the first meet of the season.

DD went to a region 5 camp where the girls were told that nail polish wasn't a USAG rule but if their coaches said no nail polish, then that was the end of the conversation.

DD stopped the glitter cap when she went to optionals. She does ask to wear mascara to make her eyes pop (she has lovely eye lashes) which I allow. She also wears lip gloss but has chewed that off before open warm up even begins.

Our gym doesn't have a rule concerning make up but leaves it to the gymnasts and their parents. I think peer pressure would kick in if the littles wore it to a competition. But the older Xcel and optional girls wear age appropriate (not performance) make up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back