Parents max hours at the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
What is the maximum amount of hours a child can do at gymnastics?
Are they L10 or elite?

The recent posts about super high hours made me wonder. I think DDs gym maxes out at 22.5 hours/week for L10. No elite track.

The two gyms near us that turn out L10 girls who are getting NCAA scholarships at D1 schools practice either 22 or 25 hours a week.

Former gym was 22 hrs for levels 8-10. No current elites, but I know when they did have people trying, they were going before school too--wasn't over 30 hrs/week total though.

I'm not sure the max hours the level 10s/elite do at our gym (don't think we have any elites right now) but my DD who just finished level 6 is training 20 right now and will be doing 29 this summer. I'm a little worried 29 is too much, even if she is training level 7/8. We actually have the option of doing 25 or 29 this summer, but the girl we carpool with is a level 9 and doing 29, so my DD would just be sitting at the gym twice a week waiting around for the other girl to finish.

I think it maxes out at 20 for the boys at our gym too. Over here elites get sent off to training centers at age 11 so I don't know how many hours they train but I think they have school lessons at the centre and would almost certainly do above 20 hours. But that is only the top few (10 or so) in the country in each age group.

Mine is L5 training for L7. Right now she trains 14, will go to 16 over the summer. She has the option to add the 5th day, which would make it 17.5 a week, but since she's only 8 we take that day off. Eventually she'll have to start 5 days, but in my mind there's no rush.

Max out at 20 for the girls (level 8-10 expected to try to do the 20, with allowances during the school year) and right now about 15 for the boys (a few will do an extra 4 this summer...). It'll be plenty if the coaching ratios and equipment wait times can be sorted out! A few kids do 1-2 hours of privates a week on top...

The girls are at about 22 a week for the levels 7-10. No clue with the compulsaries. For the boys, they max out at 23, and the level 9s are expected to do all 23 a week unless they have agood reason to miss. The 8s are expected to do 19-23, 7s are expected to do 15-20, 6s 11-16, 5s 7-12 and 4s 3-8.

Currently:
22.5 for optionals
20 for L5
16 for L4
12 for L3
If you're doing TOPs, add another 2h per week.

In Canada it depends on what club. We have friends in clubs all over GTA.
For these levels - Level 10/national open/national novice. I know of gyms that do 25,30,35 hours
My daughter does 26.
Some gyms would argue that 30 hours at one gym is like 25 hours at another depending on how much standing around there is.
In the end a gymnast who trains 25 will have a hard time keeping up with a girl who trains 35.

Our gym has a homeschool group. Compulsory girls in that group train 20 hours, optionals train 30 hours. They do 2 training sessions a day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back