MAG Meet Day

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Today is the first meet! New gym, new uniform, new routines.....D seems ready. I asked him if he was excited about competing or about seeing his friends at other gyms. He looked at me crazily and said "BOTH!" ROFL.

Good luck to any boys competing today!

Can't wait to hear about his day! I hope it's fantastic and that he's happy at the end of it!

So...1st meet over.

JD is different. D did very well, but this will not last. The level 9 meets will kill him :(

But this one. he took 1st on floor, rings, and vault, 3rd on high bar and 1st all around. It was pretty much just his team competing JD. Next meet...L9!

So...1st meet over.

JD is different. D did very well, but this will not last. The level 9 meets will kill him :(

But this one. he took 1st on floor, rings, and vault, 3rd on high bar and 1st all around. It was pretty much just his team competing JD. Next meet...L9!

I don't think L9 will kill him - might get some battle wounds, but it will just make him stronger :D:D:D

How did he feel about doing well at JD? I know it's just one meet, but are you getting the sense yet if boys/teams are feeling like JD is 'the real thing' and not playing second fiddle to JO?

Congrats on his success today at any rate!

I do not get that sense. I think they are still out there competing. It was good. He loved it. I asked him afterward though if he woudl rather just compete JD and he clearly said no. So he wants to go 9...no matter the cost ;)

I think it's great for him to have had a confidence booster first thing in the season. My son has a teammate in the same boat -- won his first meet at JD but has been pestering the coach since then to shift him over to JO. He will do his first L9 meet the second weekend in January.

Sounds like he spread his placements around very nicely. I bet he will be OK in JO. I think L9 will be a little weird this year with the age change. A decent number will be guys coming to L9 with only one prior year of optionals under their belts. While we saw some great gymnastics, we also saw some guys missing things and doing very basic routines. I think he will have some competitive events.

I think it's great for him to have had a confidence booster first thing in the season. My son has a teammate in the same boat -- won his first meet at JD but has been pestering the coach since then to shift him over to JO. He will do his first L9 meet the second weekend in January.

Sounds like he spread his placements around very nicely. I bet he will be OK in JO. I think L9 will be a little weird this year with the age change. A decent number will be guys coming to L9 with only one prior year of optionals under their belts. While we saw some great gymnastics, we also saw some guys missing things and doing very basic routines. I think he will have some competitive events.

Thanks. I hope basic and clean will score well for him. There are level 9s in this state scoring 78s already :( D is no where close to that. But he is excited to do all of his big skills and see how they score.

Thanks everyone. He was smiling from head to toe. He had soooo much fun!!

Sure. If we can. It is new this year.

JO is the usual levels. 4-10. just like girls. (there is also JE, where they add in compulsary tech sequences in addition to the optional routines, so 2 day meets).

JD is new. It is intended to keep boys in gymnastics as they get older. THEre are 2 age divisions, 11-14, and 15-18, although last night, they just did 1 group 11-18. There are no requirements, except to do 5 skills and a dismount in the lower age group, and maybe 7 skills and a dismount in the upper age group. They do not have to have something from every element group. They just do what they can.

So, if a boy starts late, doesn't want to do the high hours, is coming off injury, or does not have the requirements for the level they should be at, then they can do JD.

My son did JD last night because he is coming off injury and does not have all the requirements ready for L9. he will do L9 at the next meet in a month I think. I know he will be doing L9 by mid-January for sure.

Nice clean routines - nice way to start the season!

We still have a month before our optional boys have their first meet, and it's a two day meet, one day individual, second day is a team competition.

I've been looking at some of the meet scores- only some gyms are doing JD. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Also, generally scores look a bit lower at the optional levels than before. But like you said not as big of a change as the drop 4 or 5 years ago.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back