Parents Meet during the super bowl :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
Not only is DDs meet time on Super bowl Sunday, but she competes at 4:30!! I ALMOST got DH on board to come to a meet, until I was made aware of the "special day".

I thought she was a five year old rec gymnast?? If that is the case, and you love American football, skip the meet.

Dad works 60+ hours a week including weekends. He doesn't show up for many activities. She is on a L3 team, and very excited about her meet. We will go whether or not Daddy does. We will just hit up the party afterward.

We got to a meet most every spring that is on Super Bowl weekend. The dads still come, but someone always has a phone or small tv with them or are keeping up with updates online. They record the game and watch later.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, us too. Mine competes around 12:30, but the meet is 5 hours away. I am debating on spending Sunday night, driving home completely or driving partially and finding a hotel. We probably won't be leaving the meet until 5-6 pm. Last year our session took 6 hours, with awards. I don't think the drive will be bad during the game, but I am worried about the drunks getting in their car afterwards.

We will be flying home at the time the Super Bowl starts. We will probably get home in time for the start of the 3rd quarter.

I couldn't imagine missing one of my kids' activities to watch the Super Bowl. I've missed big games for my college team over kid stuff, and I never really even gave it a thought. Do you really want to send your kid the message that they rank somewhere below watching sports on TV?

I agree with those who say you don't miss the meet for football. And this is coming from a diehard Cowboys fan. I grew up on Cowboy's football and to this day, I am expected at my father's house for any and all televised Boys games.....unless we have a meet. Then I am excused. :)

My logic is two-fold: Like Wallinbi, I don't want to give my child the impression that little men on TV are more important to me than her passion. Secondly, we have made a commitment to a team and we honor that commitment. And that's it.

To me it has nothing to do with age or level. I think it is dismissive to say "she's only a level 3 or only a level 4 or only a compulsory gymnast" as if their gymnastics isn't as important as optional gymnastics. That isn't a fair approach to take if your gym is counting on your score to help with team placement.

We've hedged the past two years about playing soccer because we know that soccer won't be our first priority if a conflict comes up. I'm always just really up front with the coach and let them know that soccer is her secondary sport so if he doesn't wish to start her, we totally understand and support that decision. Because we don't miss gym and we definitely don't miss meets unless she's sick (knock on wood that hasn't happened yet).

I agree with those who say you don't miss the meet for football. And this is coming from a diehard Cowboys fan. I grew up on Cowboy's football and to this day, I am expected at my father's house for any and all televised Boys games.....unless we have a meet. Then I am excused. :)

But the cowboys haven't been in the playoffs in how many years? lol :D Did you see the Lion King fb post about the Cowboys and playoffs?

On topic: Some dad's/parents are just not as into the gymnastics scene and its too bad for their kids. My oldest dd struggled for 2 years of competitions where her dad came to see her once, because I dragged him. He complained the entire time. My choice would be, if you can come and enjoy yourself, then come, if you are going to come and complain, don't bother.

On topic: Some dad's/parents are just not as into the gymnastics scene and its too bad for their kids. My oldest dd struggled for 2 years of competitions where her dad came to see her once, because I dragged him. He complained the entire time. My choice would be, if you can come and enjoy yourself, then come, if you are going to come and complain, don't bother.
I'm not that into piano, but I'd never reveal that to my daughter, and it's not really about piano - it's about her. I have no idea what song she's playing or whether she played it well - doesn't matter because she played it and she was smiling about it.

I'm not that into piano, but I'd never reveal that to my daughter, and it's not really about piano - it's about her. I have no idea what song she's playing or whether she played it well - doesn't matter because she played it and she was smiling about it.

Exactly. The dad that won't go to his daughter's meet because the Super Bowl is on is just sad. You're going to support your daughter, not watch gymnastics.

I absolutely agree with those who say 'go to the meet - forget football'. She's your dd, its her team and her passion and it's your family. Dad works long hours to support his family and that's great, and its all the more reason to go to the meet when he has the chance. They are only young once - don't miss it!!

But the cowboys haven't been in the playoffs in how many years? lol :D Did you see the Lion King fb post about the Cowboys and playoffs?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. I didn't say that I was happy to be a Cowboys fan, just that I am one!

And no, I haven't seen the post.

As a father of 3 I could not imagine being anywhere other than at my kiddo's events. Unless I'm out of town I will make it to at least one practice for each kid a week, just to let them know their interests are important to me. Performance/Competitions? I drop everything.

33002398.jpg
Sorry to hijack, just had to share for Bella.

My ex-husband had many issues and did not have his head on straight for many years following an auto accident. He could not understand why I felt it was so important to suppor our kids in what they do in life. Unfortunately for them he still does not support them 100%, its more of a "oh good job honey". Sad but true.

That happened to us one year. It was the local home meet that we always all go to too. My oldest ds was not happy. As he put it - they were running out the door the second her feet hit the mat on her last event. And they did.

We go to a meet Super Bowl weekend every year. This year, for a change, DD is competing on Saturday. DH was not thrilled last year that he might miss part of the game, as his beloved team was playing, but he wouldn't miss the meet for that.

What my dh would do... go to the gymnastics meet, with the game plugged into his ear. Honestly, he did this all the time at the compulsory levels - he just couldn't take that song.. over and over and over, but he was there!

We live in an area of the country where college football is a way of life (LOL!). Since the compulsory season is in the fall, often what you see in the stands are dads with headphones and their electronics if their daughters' meet is on a Saturday. Always a way to see both, especially if you have WiFi or 3G. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back