Parents Meet hair ideas for a hair-challenged mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

suebee

Proud Parent
DD is level 3 and has very long (past her waist), fine hair. And I am hair-challenged.

She is adament that she does not want a bun, which is the only style I think might be appropriate for someone who has hair as long as hers. But I think a bun will probably also likely be a problem with the backward roll in L3.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Another plus would be a hairstyle that I can largely do the night before (for early morning meets) with a lot of gel/hair spray and she can sleep in without getting terribly messed up by morning.

I know you say you are hair challenged, but I've seen many girls with long hair do a french braid or two french braids. You can do this the day before, if you use enough gel/hairspray.

Well you could try the hairstyle we are required to do. A very high, slicked back ponytail with tons of corkscrew curls. It only requires about 45 minutes (at least!) to put in 40+ rollers the night before. And then another 20+ minutes the next morning to unroll (or cut out!) the rollers. Tons of gel and hairspray also involved. It's great! ;) (Although most of the work is done the night before which does meet your requirement).

Seriously, I think braids is a good idea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&v=-W0yYvZX8c8

I do this type of style (but sprayed/gelled), but less "whispy" and I just keep it tight and I don't bring it around into the bun. The basic looping through is super easy after one practice (coming from someone who can barely French braid). It stays in too and my DD always gets compliments when we do this type of method to her hair. I sometimes split the hair down the center as you would for pigtails, and do it to each side, then make a pony in the middle that can be left alone, braided, whatever.

Here is a pic that I did for my DD's Princess jasmine costume. Could easily be amended for what you DD needs for a routine (and is mostly flat to the head so no big bun to have to roll over).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
I would add, that if its quite long, I always work on the principle of it not coming past the shoulders, so if you need to loop it back into the pony then do so, that was it will not interfere with her routines.

Hairstyle-looped-side-braids.jpg

Our girls are required to have a bun. L2, L3, L4. They are all good with the bun and their skills.

I would add, that if its quite long, I always work on the principle of it not coming past the shoulders, so if you need to loop it back into the pony then do so, that was it will not interfere with her routines.

Hairstyle-looped-side-braids.jpg
That is a good one. Nice, easy and adorable

What about 2 braided buns? With 2 they don't get in the way of the rolls and won't get so big as one would.

My dd's curly hair is pretty long now, so she does one low braided bun and she's level 3. Her hair is pretty fine so it's not that big. When straightened her hair is close to waist length.

This is form today. It's a few hours after the meet now. Please excuse the scrunchy leo combo. it is her meet scrunchy, but the leo is the free one she received form the meet, so they don't match.

meet hair.jpg

My oldest DD has long thick hair... but what I have done for two seasons now is a tight side pony, then braid the pony, then pin it into a bun. I use a ton of gel and hair Spray and have done it the night before on some occasions. Best of luck! The hair stresses me out.. but once I had a style down I can get it done more 30 mins now.

Find a parent who is good with hair and offer to pay for their services in wine or chocolate.

I did a child with lots (and lots!) of hair last meet. Gel into a high, tight pony, separate into 4 sections, plait, then loop under back into the pony. Works well on almost any hair type with minimal effort.

Thanks, everyone.

I think a high pony or bun would get in the way of the backward roll. I'm not sure and may have to have dd try it. But dd does not want a bun.

Tell me more about looping up braids. Her hair is pretty long so even with loops, the loops are still long, unless the starting point is high, like a high pony.

I can french braid but it takes me a long time and the bottom of the scalp always has looser hair (what am I doing wrong?) and doesn't look so good. And if I loop the French braids, the loops still hang to about her shoulder blades because her hair is so long.

Get it cut? :)

Bunches, high on the side of her head if a pony won't work. Divide into four sections, plait each section, loop under.

what I used to do with Pink was two french braids, which I would then "sew" together at the nape of her neck, if they are very long you can loop them twice.

Thanks, everyone.

I think a high pony or bun would get in the way of the backward roll. I'm not sure and may have to have dd try it. But dd does not want a bun.

FWIW, everyone on my dd's level 3 team has to wear a high pony with curls and no one has ever complained or had a problem with the backward roll. One of the girls has fine, waist length hair too. Probably it just happens so quickly during the routine that they just do it and don't think about it. :)

How does your dd wear her hair at practice?

FWIW, everyone on my dd's level 3 team has to wear a high pony with curls and no one has ever complained or had a problem with the backward roll. One of the girls has fine, waist length hair too. Probably it just happens so quickly during the routine that they just do it and don't think about it. :)

How does your dd wear her hair at practice?

A very messy low braid that is looped up. :) This looped braid reaches past her shoulder blades.

I think it would be easiest for me to do something like sce's pic but dd is opposed. I need to figure out why she is so opposed to a bun.

Find a parent who is good with hair and offer to pay for their services in wine or chocolate.

I did a child with lots (and lots!) of hair last meet. Gel into a high, tight pony, separate into 4 sections, plait, then loop under back into the pony. Works well on almost any hair type with minimal effort.

Always the best hairdo for long hair.
DD has just had her hair cut. The first instruction to the hairdresser was that it still had to be long enough to tie up for gym. We've now learnt that an extra couple of inches would have made life a lot easier. I now have to French plait up to the high pony tail to stop all the wispy bits falling out at the back. I don't mind doing it for a comp, but it's a pain for everyday practice.

Thanks, everyone.

Tell me more about looping up braids. Her hair is pretty long so even with loops, the loops are still long, unless the starting point is high, like a high pony.

My DD has fine hair that is nearly to her waist. She HATES the feeling of having a bun and doing her back extension rolls, but this season that's what she's doing, as we were informed none of her hair may touch the ground while in a handstand JUST AFTER a haircut, LOl. Anyway, I do usually french or Dutch braid the hair going back into the bun, it seems to help shorten it. I make sure the bun is right at the topmost part of the curve of her head, and that seems to work. I make the pony, braid it, and then actually sort of knot it and flatten it down??? It requires many bobby pins, but I manage to get it fairly flat this way.

Experimentation is key.

Just FYI, anecdotal, and my DD is one person who has tried this, but her coach used to loop her ponytail braid, and it almost always required fixing later. Not to be a defeatist, but it's the sad truth.

To tighten the lower part of a French/Dutch braid, you just need to make a conscious effort to pull it tighter and closer to the head. The technique isn't really any different, just pull tighter. My DD loves that (not).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back