Parents Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
We were scheduled to leave on Amtrak Friday morning to Early states. Thursday morning we found out that trains were being canceled because of the weather . . . trees and power lines down etc. I called Amtrak and they recommended if the weather was expected to continue we should leave Thursday . . well, the weather was expected to get worse. So we toss stuff in bags (we weren't packed yet) called school and jumped on the commuter rail . . . 1 hour later we were at Amtrak . . . a full hour before the train was scheduled to leave . . . 45 minutes on line they announce the train boarding . . . still got 8 people ahead of me on line! After a bit of pleading they all let me cut and I get the tickets switched . . . we then RUN to the gate and board the train JUST IN TIME! no seats together!!!! Again, the kindness of strangers kicks in and people start moving around so we can sit with the kids on what was going to be a SIX 1/2 hour train ride. If you are doing the math we arrive in Utica, NY after 8 1/2 hours of travel (not ****ing cab from train station).

After a nice dinner at the hotel we call it a night. Relaxed and relieved . . at least we're here. We wake up and I toss a sweatshirt over my PJs and we go get breakfast

At about 9am the USAG CANCELED the meet . . . yes, you read that correctly. :eek: The meet was CANCELED!!!!! WE ARE ALREADY THERE!!! We toss everything back in bags . . . I need to mention (because I think it is really funny) that I didn't get time to dress and at 11am the cab came back and took us back to Amtrak. . . . we stepped off the commuter train exhausted at 8pm . . . me still in pjs

I have to say Jessica took it really well. After an episode of hysterical laughter on the train, after they announced another delay, I was fine. What can you do?

Today at practice the girls all told the coach they didn't care and wanted to just move forward as level 6. We'll see what happens. Early states was rescheduled for 3/20 . . same weekend they were suppose to have their first level 6 meet. . . . a home meet :eek:

No idea what they will decide to do. We'll probably find out next week.

Thanks foe all the fairies . . . you can have them back . . . they're well rested after having the weekend off;)

Last edited:
Wow! What an experience. something you'll look back and laugh at, right?

Man, the weather is really effecting every CBer's meets! I am glad Jess took it so well, I think mine would of been so cranky:eek:

Hugs to both of you!

Fun fun. Laughter is the absolute right way to handle this.

A classic case of what didn't work for one works great for another...

Yeah, we were getting ready this past w/e as well. Luckily for us, we knew about "the cancellation)" on Friday morning and our time isn't until Sunday.

Utica is only 2 hours away from home (on a good day) and close to like 1+ hour away from the hotel that we would have stayed at (for another sporting event closer to home). We ended up cancelling the hotel altogether and slept in our own beds instead. And, our family actually ended up not having to split up between the two events this past weekend and got a chance to watch my other girl.

As for our meet schedule impact, that works out better for us as well. Due to the postponement, we now have an extra meet during the week before to use as a practice meet (especially with only 2 meets all season so far). It would have been a repeat at the same level even after early states because there couldn't have been time to prepare for the next level. That scenario kinda defeats the purpose of doing early states in the first place.

Sorry to hear about your hassle but this was the storm that some of us winter lovers have been waiting for all season long (since you guys took all our snow up till then this year). Nothing better than 18 inches of freshies after a somewhat dry season. And, we ended up saving a few bucks.

BTW, I think the real reason for the cancellation is the concern of not having volunteers at the gym to setup for the meet. Since Thursday night into Friday morning was when the storm hit, it would have been difficult to bring people into the gym on that day. By noon on Friday, the roads were clear like the storm never hit.

Oh! My! Gosh! That is craziness!!!! I think my husband would have yanked my poor child out of gym right then and there after all that...I really do! (he is always looking for an excuse:eek:). But you seem to be ok about it after all that! You will always remember this "meet", now won't you?:p

Glad you made it through all that and still have the ability to laugh about it. Whenever things go wrong for us, we look at each other and say "we'll remember this for years". All those times when things go as planned don't produce great memories. You'll be sharing the story about traveling in your pj's for a long time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back