WAG Meet sponsors

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Our booster club would like to find sponsors for our meet but really have no idea where to start. I am hoping that some of you who have been putting on meets much longer than we have will have some advice for me.

Here are some of the questions I have, but like I said we don't know much so I don't even know if we are asking the right questions. Let's star here...

1. Do you approach only local companies or are larger companies targeted as well?
2. What do you get and what do you usually give for different levels of sponsorships?
3. Do you usually have lots of smaller sponsorships or have you done a larger single integrated sponsorship situation?
4. Is there a certain type of person to contact at a company?
5. Are ther certain types of companies that are especially keen to sponsor gymnastics meets?
6. What's the best way to approach them? Should we make a general inquiry at first or start off with a detailed proposal?

Just for background we are a good sized invitational in a major metropolitan area with around 800 gymnasts in attendance, several teams from out of state and Canada.

Thank you thank you thank you in advance :)

The best ones to approach are ones where you have a connection - a team parent/family member works there. The companies can be large or small, and many large companies that are chains allow their local districts or stores to have their own budget for this kind of thing. From doing various charity events over time, I've learned that you can be completely surprised by who can turn up huge sponsors. Once had a volunteer who worked as a receptionist get us a $3000 sponsorship from her employer for a charity golf tournament.

I agree, look inside first. You would be surprised at the contacts you can get from just the people associated with the gym. You can also sell sponsorship, to the athletes attending, in way of ads. Then you start knocking on doors. Old established businesses with a tradition of supporting the community would be you best bet. Don't rule out young businesses, especially ones trying to sell a product, sponsorship is relatively cheap advertizing for them. Just tell them, what you told us about the meet, the worst thing they will do is say "no."

Sponsorships, can be banners, ads in the program, to you name listed in the program

I agree with asking around at the gym, lots of parents have jobs at places that are willing to help out- even if it's just in small ways and you might find a few major sponsors without doing a whole lot of work. You also never know who parents have connections with within the community unless you ask.
As for who to contact at the company, usually if you either call or stop in someone can point you in the right direction to at least get you started. Though this is an area where it also helps to know people so you can avoid the run around of being sent to one person and then another.
Are there companies that are known to sponsor kids events in the community? School activities, fundraisers, little league teams, etc.? Once you've exhausted all of your inside connections, these could be a good place to start. Local grocery stores, car dealerships, and some restaurants seem to be good with that kind of thing, but I guess it depends on where you are.
I would say to use inside sources first then expand your search if you still need funds/supplies. Draft a letter explaining your gyms mission and the meet, be direct about what you are looking to do with the money/supplies/etc., and also clearly tell them what they will get for their sponsorship (ad in program, banner, name on t-shirts, offer to put coupons/special offers in the program or in goodie bags).
And I would also say be open to creative options. While some companies might not be able to donate a large sum of money, maybe there is something they can do instead- donate paper products, food items for concessions, water bottles for gift bags, or a discount on printing banners, programs, and shirts. Let companies know that you are willing to work with them and want this event to be one that not only attracts visitors to the area but also helps to support local business.

Make sure you factor in 3-6 months for many of these potential sponsors to get back to you. If you approach national chains they have to send the request up the chain, so trying to get local businesses may be easier. Also contact places that would really benefit from an ad(I'm assuming the sponsors will have some ad)----daycares, dentists(really good!), physical therapy clinics etc.

If a lot of people travel to the invitational, try to approach people in the hospitality industry. Making a hotel "the official hotel" of the meet may get them direct business and you a sponsorship.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back