MAG Moving up based on age, not skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I am wondering if anyone knows why boys would be moved up from level 5 to level 8 based solely on age, rather than skill? This is what is happening in my ds gym to a few boys who are 12-14. They were fairly average scorers in level 5 competitions, but have now been moved up to level 8. Is this a common occurrence?

We are conditioned to see the levels as a step by step progression, we are conditioned to expect that you need to do level 6 to do level 7 and so on. But the reality is you are not limited by the levels, the only thing you are limited by is the ability of the coach and the coachability of the gymnast.

I don't know how it works in the USA, but I assume it is similar to Australia. In Australia for girls they have to pass the previous level in order to compete in the next one from level 4 up. For MAG there is no such rule. You can put the gymnast in where ever they fit, and they can skip levels and compete where ever they fit.

Not doing well at level 5 is not an indication that they won't do well at a higher level. Success at compulsory levels does not indicate success at optional levels where a routine can be tailored to suit the particular talents of an individual gymnast.

If you gym is doing this you should be pleased that you are at a good place. It shows your gym has the ability to think outside the box. And work with a gymnast as an individual rather than just work within a system.

Oh, well that makes sense. And yes, we are very happy with our gym. I just didn't understand how it worked, because I assumed you had to have certain skills to compete level 8. We really trust how our gym works, but I like to understand it also, which is why I asked the question. I appreciate your explanation!

I have a slightly different perspecive than Aussie_coach. With boys specifically, growth spurts and "nature" have a significant impact even if they were once at the top of their level, especially in the age group you mention: 12-14. We have experienced & seen similar occurences: boys with immulate skills suddenly going through a major growth spurt, losing their centre of gravity (through nature) and having to relearn their skills again to accomodate for their new "longer", more muscular body. DS was high-performance elite athlete on the age-group national team at age 11. He decided to go back to the "mainstream" but, because of his skill level, was put in the 13-16 age group. Even with superb skills, there was no way he could compensate for the "natural" physical strength of these older athletes & he often finished much lower than usual; fewer ribbons/medals. Then his growth spurt hit with intensity. Longer legs made it difficult for him to maneuver some of the skills especially on bars. Fast forward to today at age 15 and, after 2 years of non-competitng to due a variety of injuries, he is once again placing & medalling; his skills have grown into his larger body it is a more level playing field. Having surpased nature's "physical" hurdle, he can now fully concentrate on skills building & get back on track. We have since witnesses similar scenario with many other boys in the 12-14 age group .... depending on when their physical growth spurt(s) hit! Not much you can do about THAT aspect!

I am wondering if anyone knows why boys would be moved up from level 5 to level 8 based solely on age, rather than skill? This is what is happening in my ds gym to a few boys who are 12-14. They were fairly average scorers in level 5 competitions, but have now been moved up to level 8. Is this a common occurrence?

Yes...this is common. Levels 6 and 7 are compulsory levels that can be aggressively difficult in some areas of the country. Level 8 is a "modified" optional level where the boys could do routines built to their strengths. "Modified" in that difficulty values only go so high...A=.01...B=.02...C,D,E,F,G=.03.

Since L8's cannot go to Nationals...you will see your younger, high scoring, L7 gymnasts go straight to L9. L9 can go to Nationals in the 12-13 year age group. The 14-15 year age group is NOT eligible for Nationals at L9...so these young L9 gymnasts will most likely go L10 at age 14. L10 has 14-15 years and 16-18 years...both of which are eligible for Nationals.

Basically...most "hot shot" boys will follow the "prime" development path of L7, L9, L10...no L8.

Does that make sense? A bit hard to explain.

EDIT: TANDY's post is excellent^^^

Last edited:
Why can't 14 and 15's go to Nationals at L9? What age are they supposed to be when they get to L10?

There is only a 12-13 year old age division for L9's at nationals. Here is what the JO manual says...

* Level 9(12-13) and level 10(14-15) and (16-18) are eligible to qualify to the Junior Olympic
National Championship. All other optional levels compete to the Regional Championship only.

Each boy will make it to L10 when they can make it...USAG would like them there at age 14.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back