Parents Moving Up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flgymmom

Proud Parent
Question for you all....

My daughter is currently level 4.... she competed at level 4 last year. She is learning level 5, 6, and 7 skills and can do most of them.

We did not compete in any meets this spring, our meets were in the falls. Does she need to compete in a meet and get a score of 31 + in order to move up to the new level 5 or whatever ?

I'm not sure why she is competing at level 4 again.... I tried at ask the guy at our gym and he told me that she is competing at level 4 which is old level 5. I know that her routines are the level 5 routines.

I understand that USAG changed all their requirements and such... but I still don't understand if we have all spring and all summer and she is learning 6 and 7 skills... I don't expect her to be level 6 or 7 just wondering why we are 4...

Any ideas ?

JBS's links are awesome. In a nutshell, in order to move up a child must compete each level and get the required minimum score to move on to the next level. While your gym is doing its job and uptraining your dd, and yes, its possible to compete one meet at level 4, next at 5, then at 6, but as one parent on here has in his siggy, gymnastics is a marathon not a sprint. It takes time to perfect the skills at each level and to succeed at each level. Sure many kids who compete level 5 have level 7 skills, the vault is the same for 5, 6 and 7, but the performance is what is the difference and the ability to do them well.

She isn't ready-- until she gets a minimum of 31 AA in a new Level 4 (Old 5) at a meet next season. Then, depending on her skills, readiness, and coaches plans-- she is ready to move on. She HAS to do new 4 if she was a L4 this year- b/c of the mobility score. Set up a conference with her coach he/she can explain it better as each gym has criteria for moving up-- the minimum is just that, a minimum- for many gyms that's not enough.

new Level 4 is the current L5 so if she is going to be L4 in the fall then she DID move up a level. to move to the new L5 it would be like her going from current L4 to L6 and skipping totally over current L5. The new L6 and L7 are the current L7 and L8 and no one is going to let a gymnast go from old L4 - L7 or L8 in one season.

Its great she is uptraining but don't plan to try to skip levels just because she has a skill of upper levels. Many gymnasts can do upper level skills but usually not all and not as clean as they need to be. Gymnastics isn't about how fast you get a skill and move up its a marathon and its about doing skills clean and consistantly and taking your time at every level.

Don't get caught up in the number associated with the levels they really don't matter. What matters are the skills.

OK, this is exactly what I was wondering...

She isn't ready-- until she gets a minimum of 31 AA in a new Level 4 (Old 5) at a meet next season. Then, depending on her skills, readiness, and coaches plans-- she is ready to move on. She HAS to do new 4 if she was a L4 this year- b/c of the mobility score. Set up a conference with her coach he/she can explain it better as each gym has criteria for moving up-- the minimum is just that, a minimum- for many gyms that's not enough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back