Parents Nashville area

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mnkymom

Proud Parent
I am looking for gym reccomendations in the Nashville/Hendersonville area. Dd is a level 3 in TN so we currently compete against some gyms in that area. I know which look good on paper...but I'm specifically looking for one that has a good optional program, doesn't hold kids that are getting 1st place at states in level 2 back (seriously....some of these gyms seem to be holding kids at level 2 even though they scored like 37's!....my dd would be so bored!), and that has a at least somewhat consistent coaching (we've been through so many coaches in just 1 year at current gym). We will be moving soon....who would have thought that find a gym would have been one of the most stressful parts of a move

I joined just so I could respond to your question. I usually just lurk.

If you are going to be in the Hendersonville area there are a few gyms right there.

The Masters, Gymini, and Charles Harding. I have limited experience with any of them, but if it were me I would look at Gymini first, and then The Masters, based on your question regarding optionals.

If you are willing to commute a bit then you have Nashville Gymnastics Training Center (NGTC) in West Nashville and Intrigue Athletics in Lebanon (Hendersonville being north of Old Hickory Lake that lets you drive around either side of the lake) but Lebanon is likely to be pretty inconvenient unless you are on the far east side of Hendersonville. Of those two I would lean towards NGTC.

You also have Gaby's in South Nashville, Boost in West Nashville (a little further west than NGTC), Magnitude in Hermitage, and Universal in Mt. Juliet.

Of all of them I would say try NGTC, Gymini, Master's and go from there.

Well, I like Master's, but I'm biased. ;)

I don't think you'd go wrong with either Gymini or Master's. Master's does not have any optionals girls. Highest level is 5. Gymini doesn't compete 5.

My suggestion would be to try each gym. Not sure what each gym's policy is regarding mid-season moves. Might be a question you should ask.

Well that taught me something. I had no idea Masters doesn't have any optionals currently. Considering the original post then I would say try Gymini or NGTC first.

I wouldn't let the lack of current optionals deter from Master's since the owner/HC is VERY experienced with all levels. The OP's DD is currently L3.

*shrug* Find the best fit.

Just wondering on a few things:

How do you know if a gym is "sandbagging"?

Also how would you define "sandbagging"? Is it girls competing below a level because they have yet to gain a skill for a routine, or is it girls that are competing a lower level to improve upon fundamentals?

We know a gym or sandbagging when they have a gymnast that scores a wonderful all-around score and competes in the same level for more than one season. We also know it's sandbagging when you have 16-year-olds competing in level III and scoring 39 all around. Everyone knows who the gyms are that sandbar. We do not take them seriously. Our goal is to get to level 10 and get a college scholarship not to be 16 and in level 3.

We know a gym or sandbagging when they have a gymnast that scores a wonderful all-around score and competes in the same level for more than one season. We also know it's sandbagging when you have 16-year-olds competing in level III and scoring 39 all around. Everyone knows who the gyms are that sandbar. We do not take them seriously. Our goal is to get to level 10 and get a college scholarship not to be 16 and in level 3.

Pretty much this. I've seen the same girls competing level 3 and Gold for 3 years running. And in Gold doing the same, bare minimum requirements, routine for those 3 years. And getting 10's on the routines too. Its real fun for the kids on the other teams that aren't doing that too. :(

Just wondering on a few things:

How do you know if a gym is "sandbagging"?

Also how would you define "sandbagging"? Is it girls competing below a level because they have yet to gain a skill for a routine, or is it girls that are competing a lower level to improve upon fundamentals?

Girls repeating levels despite good AA scores. A dead giveaway - girls who "sweep" the highest levels of L4 at states and a month later are competing L7 with 36's. Yeah, no.

I guess I would be more concerned on how my daughter is progressing through gymnastics. I would think it would be quite a waste of money for the parents at gyms that "sandbag".

I am assuming that this happens quite a bit in areas judging by the replies. If a gym is known to do that, can the coach schedule meets that those gyms are not present?

As a parent if my dd was at a gym that "sandbagged". I'd move her out of that gym.

Also a side note:

I wonder if gyms hold off on taking older girls at lower levels because they are afraid of the "sandbagging" tag.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back