WAG NCAA Meet???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

billise

Proud Parent
Hi all! I am considering taking my DD's (ages 6 & 10) to the University of Florida/Alabama meet in a few weeks. Does anyone have any expecience attending college meets? How long do they typically last? My girls love watching the college meets on T.V., but I'm not sure if they will enjoy it as much in person without the commentators and commercial breaks :) I figure it's worth a try as the tickets are only $4.00 for adults and free for ages 17 and under, but I would just like to know what to expect. Thanks!

College meets are a blast! Especially with 2 awesome teams competing, I'm sure you and your girls will have a blast. Meets run about 2 hours and you can get there early to watch warm-ups if you are interested in that. Definitely worth the trip!

Thanks coachmolly, that's the response I was hoping for :) My girls really want to go. They know Bridget Sloan for the Universty of Florida but they are now busy learning about all of the other gymnasts in hopes that we will go.

There is so much going on at the meets, they shouldn't be bored. 2.5 hrs is about the time frame. Dd loves to go to them with her teammates. Unfortunately, the usually coincide with one of their own meets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

College meets are great. Lots of excitement and cheering. Also, they are very fast paced, you don't seem to have the "wait time" for scores to come out or judges to decide stuff. We have loved going to college meets when we have a chance. It is a very different experience from your typical USAG meet.

I LOVE to go to college meets! I go with my dad every year, there's a certain team near home that I always root for. Love getting the posters too. I think they'll have a lot of fun there, always seems to inspire gymnasts too, especially the younger ones!

Yea!!! I'm starting to feel excited about this! Bogwoppit, I was really suprised by the cost of admission. I guess the University of Florida makes their money on football, not gymnastics :)

Also the gymnasts are really accessible at these meets, your kids should be able to get autographs and photos. Maybe a t-shirt and a sharpie?? There are some spectacular gymnasts on those teams. The scoring is on ten, like JO, but the skills are strong L10.

it will be a ton of fun.

I never though about autographs! That would be such a thrill for my girls, who were a bit disappointed that they weren't able to get any autographs at the Kellogg's tour. Thanks bogwoppit!

I took my daughter to a college meet last year and she loved it. Not 'big' teams like you are going to see but the skills were amazing and the home team signed team posters after for the girls. As it was a small school, we all had great seats (and free admission!)

Highly recommend!

College meets are a blast! We saw Boise State vs. Utah State and University of Utah vs. Georgia last year and NCAA regionals were in Salt Lake last year so we went to that as well.

LOVE college meets and that should be a great one! They might have autograph sessions afterwards too--so keep that in mind. Always fun stuff going on and lots to see--I can't imagine they'll be bored.

We went to one last year that was held in the same arena that the girls were having their meet in.
It was pretty cool. They got to watch the college girls on friday night, then they competed on the same equipment for their meet the next day. They thought that was the best.
They got to meet the girls for a quick hello. None of us parents had paper, because we didn't "plan" on a meet and greet. (this year we will be prepared..lol).
It was just a nice overall experience. And since they did it as a team, it was a "team bonding" experience. And all us Mamas got to sit and catch up with each other too.

We just went to a college meet today and it was a lot of fun. There was so much going on it was hard to choose which event to watch! I wish we had easy access to Florida and Alabama - -we've been watching them on television the last couple years and they're amazing. This meet had 5 teams and lasted about 3 hours including awards. Not sure if that's typical but it went by really fast.

We are about 120 miles from Gainsville which is why I wasn't sure I wanted to go, but judging by all of the posts, it sounds like it will be worth the trip! :)

We went last year when Nebraska hosted Florida and it was awesome. Both were top ten teams so it was a fun meet to watch. We also went when Nebraska hosted Iowa State, but it wasn't as competitive of a meet. Nebraska's season opener is next weekend, and I'm hoping to go. My kids were 5 and 3 when we went. We did have to take a break during one rotation, but the kids did really well.

I took my DD and some of her friends to the SEC championships in March. They had a blast and tickets were very reasonable. I say if you have a chance to go, you should!

After reading this post, I brought this up to my dd and she was really excited. I think we might go to a UF meet soon too. Thanks for putting the idea in my head. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back