Parents Need foot fairies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

well, ankle fairies really! Despite it being her foot she broke, it's Beth's ankle that hurts--is that weird or normal?? I was resigned to her not doing all-around this year and not making it to State, but last night after I mentioned we had to order the t-shirts for State (club hosting is ordering ahead of time, not having a vendor there at the meet), she insisted I had to order a t-shirt and that she WOULD make it. She actually vaulted last night and did more on floor, so maybe. But foot/ankle fairies would be good!

Not sure if that is normal or not. Is it possible her ankle is just sore from the cast or boot - from being stationary for a while ?

Sending some AA fairies and healing fairies !!

Not sure if that is normal or not. Is it possible her ankle is just sore from the cast or boot - from being stationary for a while ?

Sending some AA fairies and healing fairies !!

That's my thought--it was stationary for a long time, of course moving it and working it will make it hurt. Just seems weird that where she actually broke her foot doesn't hurt!

E-mailed with one of her coaches--she said they will try taping it tonight at practice and see if that helps.

Sending her lots of fairies. I bet the muscles are just weak and need to work harder to get back in shape.

I am definitely sending positive thoughts Beth's way!

As for if it normal or not, since dd is basically in the same boat. Although my dd broke her 5th metatarsal, she has no pain where the broken bone was/is, but her pain has been in the ankle too. For dd, this is normal and where most of the dr's concerns are. Dd's break is where the tendon connects to the 5th metatarsal. The tendon comes up the ankle. Basically dd twisted her ankle inward good enough that the tendon no longer gave and broke the bone. Thankfully she just had a broken bone and no ligament or tendon damage. So like I said, in my dd's case this perfectly normal for where her pain is.

Maybe you should try some arnica gel on it. Dd takes anrica tablets everyday since the break and she rubs the gel on her foot and ankle when she takes her boot off. May be worth a try.

I am definitely sending positive thoughts Beth's way!

As for if it normal or not, since dd is basically in the same boat. Although my dd broke her 5th metatarsal, she has no pain where the broken bone was/is, but her pain has been in the ankle too. For dd, this is normal and where most of the dr's concerns are. Dd's break is where the tendon connects to the 5th metatarsal. The tendon comes up the ankle. Basically dd twisted her ankle inward good enough that the tendon no longer gave and broke the bone. Thankfully she just had a broken bone and no ligament or tendon damage. So like I said, in my dd's case this perfectly normal for where her pain is.

Maybe you should try some arnica gel on it. Dd takes anrica tablets everyday since the break and she rubs the gel on her foot and ankle when she takes her boot off. May be worth a try.

What is arnica gel and tablets and where do you buy them? wrapping it last night helped--according to Beth, but she's mad because someone stole the rest of her tape she bought--darn thieving gymnasts!

Sending all the healing fairies I can find your direction. I remember my ankle hurting long after my foot healed when I broke it (many LONG years ago).

So glad to hear that Beth is back to working out and getting the opportunity to compete this year. Mercy, I wish I bounced back that quickly!

I copied this definition from wikipedia:

Medicinal uses
Arnica montana has been used medicinally for centuries.[1] The roots contain derivatives of thymol,[3] which are used as fungicides and preservatives and may have some anti-inflammatory effect.[4] Arnica is currently used in liniment and ointment preparations used for strains, sprains, and bruises. Commercial arnica preparations are frequently used by professional athletes.[5] Arnica should not be taken internally due to its toxicity, with the spurious exception of homeopathic preparations that are diluted at 24X or more, since only water remains.[6][7]
The thymol derivatives concentrated in the plants roots have been clinically shown to be effective vasodilators of subcutaneous blood capillaries. Arnica preparations used topically have been demonstrated to act as an anti-inflammatory and assist normal healing processes by facilitating transport of blood and fluid accumulations through a dilating action of subcutaneous blood capillaries (Holist Nurse Pract, 2008, 22(4):237-239). In one double-blind trial, Arnica montana was found to be equally effective as the more expensive diclofenac for accelerating wound healing after foot surgery, but was less effective than the same drug for pain relief.[8] However, Diclofenac does not promote wound healing as it is an anti-inflammatory drug and hence this comparison is not useful. A study of wound-healing after surgery to treat varicose veins found a trend towards a beneficial effect of reduction of pain and hematoma following surgery.[9]

I can buy Arnica at Wegman in their organic section, also you can get it at any vitamin shop like GNC. Dd takes the tablets 3x a day and also applies the gel too. Arnica for lack of better terms is likes nature's Ben Gay without the Ben Gay smell. It's reasonably prices, the gel is about $10 for a fairly big bottle and the tablets are under $15 for I think 100 tablets.

What is arnica gel and tablets and where do you buy them? wrapping it last night helped--according to Beth, but she's mad because someone stole the rest of her tape she bought--darn thieving gymnasts!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back