Coaches new 2013 L3 beam handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom&Coach

Coach
Proud Parent
In the new elements for L3 (would be old l4) Do the girls do a split handstand on beam, or do a full HS and show a split before stepping down? Some of the descriptions are not to clear ;)

GMC; I am to understand that the new L3 routine will continue to contain the "old L4" BB cross-handstand. I asked the question of HS's in L3,4,5 specifically at our Region meet to the meet ref and she relayed the above. While my answer does not provide written confirmation of the routines co-authored by Linda Johnson, I believe that it is true. We will all get the written confirmation in EOM May'13. Can not wait!

BTW: Great Beam Complexes for Developmental USA Gymnastics athletes here: http://usagym.org/pages/women/events/jocompulsories/pdfs/feature_preparebeam.pdf

I hope that this assists.

Short Balding Coach Eric -

The April 2012 issue of technique had a list which included "cross handstand with legs in split position (mark, no angle requirement)" for new L3. New L4 was "cross handstand with legs together".

Combining that with the fact that L2 is a needle kick, I am thinking that the L3 handstand will not require the legs to join together at all.

Of course, I have not seen the official materials yet. This is only my best guess.

here is the link I was referring to, in case anyone wants to check it out. It is on page 14.
Technique - April 2012 - Vol. 32, #4

My initial thought was a "baby" handstand, just a step beyond the needle kick or "teeter totter" progression where the feet actually leave the beam but don't actually come together (so not hs-feet together-split-step down).

The materials released so far have used the term "mark" so I assume the back leg should go past vertical to some degree but there is no hold. Haven't really worked on it yet, although part of my beam complex is these one foot needle kick hops.

I would assume that the "mark" is similar to the dismount in current level 4 beam - where they must hit handstand and then turn, but no hold requirement. So would assume that the split handstand must hit vertical(so hips lined up over hands), then come down, but no hold required.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back