WAG New Coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast-mac

Gymnast
At practice a few days ago, we got a new coach. She isn't replacing anybody, our gym just needed more coaches. To say the least, I'm not fond of her. She was overly enthusiastic and acted like she owned the place. I was getting frustrated because we were put with her on vault and floor. We were all working on back tucks on floor, and she was supposed to give us corrections, but she would make movements to try and show us what she wanted us to do. I believe that she's only coaching on Wednesdays, but I still don't know what to do on those days, because after practice Wednesday, I was still upset about her and it kept me in a bad mood until Monday. Should I say something to my head coach or just try and ignore her? :confused:

I suggest you try to ignore it for now. I think saying something to the hc would come accross as critisizing his staff and that would lead to more problems that it would solve. Hopefully this will get better as she fits into her new job. Good luck.

I'm not sure what you mean by her making movements to show you what she wanted, but I would say give it some more time. She's been there for one practice. Adapting to a new coach is hard, sometimes it's a transition that becomes a positive one in the end as the coach brings something new to the gym, other times the fit just isn't quite right and you just need to learn to muddle through that one day she is there. Hopefully this will be more of a best case scenario and she turns out to be a great coach with some time.
From a coaches perspective, stepping into a new gym to coach an already established group of girls who love their current coaches and have formed a really good bond is HARD! The coach is put into a place of guessing what the kids are used to, what they want from a coach, and how their typical coaching style and previous experiences work in with all of that. Add to that the fact that some kids can be very distrusting and hard on a new coach, especially when the switch is not a totally desired one, and it can be easy for a new coach to over compensate, be overly enthusiastic, or really feel the need to "prove themselves" however they see fit.
Give her the benefit of the doubt for now (provided she's not telling you to do something dangerous) and wait it out a little longer. Good luck!

I dont understand what you mean by making movements that's objectionable? Some coaches, like some athletes, are visual. Some are kinesthetic. Some are talkers. Et cetera.

Adjusting to new people is hard for everyone. I don't recommend flat out ignoring anyone except in extreme circumstances, the likes of which a coach should not be participating in. Take what you can from what she says, & if the rest doesn't work for you, it doesn't. Or if it doesn't make sense, it's ok to say so. If you're getting super frustrated (I know I did at your age-and at my age now) take a deep breath & try to find something you do like about her. It gets easier with practice.

Changes suck. Try to take a deep breath & take a step back & see if your distaste is "I don't like this person" or "I don't like this style" or "this is new and I hate it because it is new". Give you-and her-some adjustment time.

Transitions are hard but once the hard part is done things can be pretty great.

You are going to have to learn with all types of personalities in your life. My advise is learn to love her. Take what you can from her but if you have a bad attitude towards the coach the only thing that will happen is that you will suffer. You keep your head down, work hard and do your best.

So she was enthusiastic, confidence, and trying to help you learn a new skill? Ummmm.......sounds pretty awesome to me.

Try to remember, you're having to get used to one new coach while she has to get used to x number of new gymnasts PLUS fitting in with a new staff and a new set of parents. I think it would be a very nice thing for someone to reach out to her. It's hard being the new girl.

I'm sorry but I don't read anything in your post to justify you not liking her for any transgression other than being "new." :-(

Some coaches offer corrections the same way with every kid, and some coaches tailor their corrections to the individual kid. It may be she has to figure you out just as much as you have to figure you out, so give it some time. If you're having a difficult time understanding her terminology and "movements", politely and graciously tell her you aren't "getting it".... even though you want to.

Stay positive and respect what she offers you, and it will turn out better for you.

Okay, thanks everyone for the advice! I'm getting used to her and I don't dislike her as much anymore. It was mainly a "she's new and I don't like when things change" type of problem that I had.

It was mainly a "she's new and I don't like when things change" type of problem that I had.

Oh my!! Please, at the very least tell me you don't make as much of a fuss whenever..........

"Dear chalkbucket, I'm so upset. Today, I had to change socks for the FIFTH TIME THIS MONTH!!!!!

It's great to hear things are doing better.

Oh my!! Please, at the very least tell me you don't make as much of a fuss whenever..........

"Dear chalkbucket, I'm so upset. Today, I had to change socks for the FIFTH TIME THIS MONTH!!!!!

It's great to hear things are doing better.

Thanks. And, just to let you know, I don't fuss about stupid things like that. And I change my socks more than 5 times a month.

I'm sorry, but I've gone through things in the last year that I'm not going to mention, but have caused me to be very scared/nervous about change with coaches and anything related to gymnastics. This new coach just struck me as a change that made me worry and I guess I overreacted. :)

At practice a few days ago, we got a new coach. She isn't replacing anybody, our gym just needed more coaches. To say the least, I'm not fond of her. She was overly enthusiastic and acted like she owned the place. I was getting frustrated because we were put with her on vault and floor. We were all working on back tucks on floor, and she was supposed to give us corrections, but she would make movements to try and show us what she wanted us to do. I believe that she's only coaching on Wednesdays, but I still don't know what to do on those days, because after practice Wednesday, I was still upset about her and it kept me in a bad mood until Monday. Should I say something to my head coach or just try and ignore her? :confused:

pardon me young lady, "she kept me in a bad mood until Monday". she gave you 'mime' corrections instead of verbal and was overly enthusiastic being her 1st night and you're ready to throw her to the curb? is that all?

eta: glad you have calmed down. wait till you get to college gymnastics...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back