new here

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

Jennykait

Hello to all of my senior citizen gymnasts out there!
My partner in crime, Gina (GikiGirl) has been encouraging me to join, so here I am.
I've been doing gymnastics since I was about 10 years old. I have competed in compulsory programs, high school gymnastics, and currently, Prep opt. I am 22 years old and when I was 17, I found out I had Cushing's disease, which is caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland, which is located at the base of the brain. I had 5 surgeries related to treatment for the condition from age 17 to 21. Luckily, although I still have many health concerns to deal with and will for the rest of my life, I am in remission from the disease. So, I got back into gymnastics when I was 21 and just intended to do it for fun, but it became rather addicting, and eventually I found myself on my gym's prep-opt team. I have learned that you have to cease the chance to do those things you want to do while you can, as life can change so fast. So, that is the driving force for me doing gymnastics at this point in my life. I intend to continue with competition for as long as my health permits and I find gymnastics to be a rewarding part of my life.
I compete in the advanced division in prep-opt in NH. I would say that the skill level for advanced is pretty comparable to USAG's level 7. I have found prep opt to be really great for my needs. I have been able to pick the skills that I want to do, which allows me to challenge myself, without the rigorous approach that a USAG team program would require.
Anyway, it is nice to meet you all :)
Jenny

Hi Jenny! :) I'm glad Gina convinced you to join! Maybe you'll get addicted like we are. I'll talk to you soon, and keep you posted on what's going on with my back.
-Danielle

Welcome Jenny! You'll love it here. I'm impressed with your courage and love for gymnastics that drives you on after all you've been through. You are an inspiration! Though I've never gone through anything in my own body as serious as you have, I did have to retire from gymnastics for a few years because my son was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer when he was 17. The doctors gave him a 1 in 5 chance of surviving 6 months. I pray you stay healthy and never have to go through your ordeal ever again. We're all here to help you in any way we can. Take care and enjoy your new friends here! :)

Hi Jenny! Danielle was actually just telling me how you two are the "old ladies" on the prep op team. I am looking to do prep op too(I go to the same gym in case you didn't figure it out). Anyway, great to have you here!!!!

Welcome Jenny. Glad to have you posting. I'm beginning to wish I lived where you, Gina & Nicci live so I could have adults to compete with but just glad to have the support through this forum. I think you'll fall in love with it like all the rest of us have. Anyway thanks for you inspirational story. I wanted to let you know I know exactly what you mean by getting back to gymnastics and becoming addicted to it again. I thought I was completely done with gymnastics a few years ago, then a gymnastics place popped up nearby so I decided to try the adult class just for fun. when that class fell through I decided to take private lessons every other week just to keep up with it a little but keep the cost down and after about 6 months realized I had fallen in love with the sport once again and I increased my lessons to once a week. It was after finding this forum and realizing I wasn't the only crazy adult gymnast out there that I started thinking about competing and gained the confidence to request to work out one more day and now I'm up to 2 to 3 days a week. Now I'm just trying to gain the confidence to ask to join team. Still not quite there yet. I wish they had a prep opt team like you guys have. I'd be sure to join that if they did.

Jenny neglected to mention that she started out just in adult class just like a lot of you 1 hr. per week when she came back to gymnastics, and now she is a very successful prep op gymnast in the highest division we have in NH, advanced.

After spending a couple years doing prep op workouts she realized she would benefit from more hours so she works out with the usag level 7-10 team two days a week. I dragged her into that one, since I was on the usag team at the time!

I just wanted to jump in and welcome you Jenny, and also to say how great it is to have such a wonderful group of adult gymnasts here on the CB. It has been lovely to see the group grow and connect and support each other.

Thanks for being here.

Yeah, Gina got me going with doing the extra time workouts (swimming with the sharks) and then she goes and ditches me to fend for myself. Ok, Ok, I suppose she had medical issues of her own to deal with :)

Haha! That's kind of like what happened to me when my friend decided to take up ballet. She dragged me along with her and left me to fend for myself; and I ended up dancing for 7 years! Anyway, good to have you on board, Jennykait! Yay for another adult gymnast! :)

Trust me, I would kill to be able to do team workouts again. I just spend more time in doctors offices lately than at the gym. I didn't mean to abandon you, Jenny!

Hang in there, Gina. I understand. Someday, you'll be working out as much as you want to. Maybe we'll get the chance to work out together. It would be great to work out with another adult instead of listening to teenage gossip in between turns or at the chalk bucket at the gym! Not that I don't enjoy working out with youngsters, but they are tough to relate to. It's like I'm on another planet! Does anyone understand me??? chuckle :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back