new level 8 requirements for 2013-14?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So glad I'm graduating in 2013 and don't have to worry about USAG levels any more! I'm going to keep in touch with my gym buddies though...it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I definitely know some girls and parents who will be mad if they have to "stay at the same level" (even though the difficulty is the sameish). The weird thing is only allowing one B in level 6 (currently level 7)...that means only one giant and no clear hip handstand or toe shoot handstand on bars, only one flight skill on beam and no twisting dismounts, and if you used up your B on a 3/2 turn? No switch leap for you. All of our current level 7s would have to downgrade majorly.

Yes, this is what I'm wondering as well... If there may be some sort of provisions made in this transition year for gymnasts to be able to move between "old" 7 and "new" 8, if coaches felt they were able. Of course they could score out of "new" 7 but I don't know if that's as easy to do in optionals when it means, at the very least, changing/adapting choreography. I really have no feel for how much work that would entail, on the part of the gymnast or on the part of the coach/choreographer.

Well, if the gymnast has the skills, it's relatively easy to change out the skills in the routines. Our girls often keep their musice and basic routines for 2-3 years, just increasing the skill level as needed.

I think the minimum to get to a level and the maximum at that level will be quite different. If new level 6 requires 1 B and new level 7 requires 3 Bs - you can compete the same routine for both levels, the extra Bs will just count as some of the required A's. I think the new Level 6 will have alot of 2 clear hip bar routines where the giants will show up in the new Level 7.

I agree- if only there was a vault between the handspring and the Tsuk or Yurchenko. I know some gyms just do not like/coach the handspring or 1/2 on or RO entry with twist flight phase, but I honestly cannot see what else one could do. I would rather see a Yurchenko timer competed that to gasp when I see a gymmie chuck the real deal. Safety should trump start value, imo.

why not do yurch/tsuk timers off the vault onto the level 4 vaulting mat. Judged on height off the horse (of course, body postons, and landing position) Would help with safety and progression in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly, flipflopcrystal. I think the reason we don't see these performed is because the starting values are dismal. This is the point I was trying to make. Maybe some concessions will be made in the next cycle, but if I am correct, the SV for a Yurchenko timer at current level 8 is only a 7 or there abouts.

OK, so I just checked out the link that one of the posters shared for the proposed new changes for 6-10. And I have to admit, I am thoroughly confused. It was my understanding that these new changes were occurring to provide more gradual transition from 8 to 9 but comparing the charts for the new and old skills, it appears that the changes happen more between 7 and 8, not 8 and 9. For example. current level 7 requires 2 B's and 8 requires 4 B's and 9 requires 4 B's and 1 C. the proposed new requirements are 7: 2 or 3 B's ; L8: 4B's and 1 C allowed (not required) ; L9: 1 C and 4 B's. Now, I suppose the changes could really be more dealing with start value - not all B's may get the same values or something similar...

I'm more confused now than before in terms of specifics, but I *think* my dd will likely be able to make the jump for current L7 to new L8, as long as she uptrains well this summer. She should have all her bar requirements for L8 by the end of the summer - unless a release move is mandated in new 8 (bars is her strong event). As others have mentioned - VT will be the big factor. She doesn't have a strong HS as this was her 1st yr competing it. Hopefully her L7 will be stronger. Beam should be fine - she is good with B leaps, though bhs series may be tough. fx will be a struggle as tumbling is a weak point for her. only time will tell...

Gymgal- these changes will not go into effect for over a year- so what happens this summer is moot. I suspect in about a year from now we will all know exactly what the changes are. No need to worry about the 2012-2013 season. There is really no need to worry about the 2013 and beyond seasons, either. It is all out of our control. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

gymgal - I think the big change from 8 to 9 will still be the bonus. I haven't read what all the changes that are coming, by that point my dd will be a Senior in HS and a 10, so it's all crazy at that point. But, it looks like if the 4Bs and doing 1C at 8 is the same as the 9 requirements, the difference is that now the SV at L9 would only be 9.7 instead of 10.0 at 8. The gymnast is still going to have to come up with bonus and that will be difference and it will be very noticeable on bars. Not many girls can get a 10.0SV on bars at 9 right now.

Gymgal- these changes will not go into effect for over a year- so what happens this summer is moot...... No need to worry about the 2012-2013 season. There is really no need to worry about the 2013 and beyond seasons, either. It is all out of our control. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Lol easier said than done. Reality is that what happens this summer has a large impact on the '13-14 season. If the coaches know what to expect for '13-14, then they can plan accordingly for this summer. I'm thinking that many will be able to jump to the new L8 in '13-14 if coaches can uptrain them this and next summer. For ex. If a release move will be required or a bar change (not just a jump to high bar), these are skills that will need a lot more uptraining and as of right now, most gyms uptrain these for L9 not L8.

I don't know what is in my dd's future but she is going to be a 7th grader as a L7. If she decides she wants to go for college gym, we have to be thinking about the yearly progression now. It may never happen but I'd prefer preparing for that possibility than finding out 3 yrs from now that it's too late.

gymgal -

I think you are allowed to be concerned, just not paniced, at the moment. You are right that what happens this summer can have an impact on where an athlete is next year. A gentle inquiry to the coach isn't out of the question, IMO. Good luck.

I agree wholeheartedly, flipflopcrystal. I think the reason we don't see these performed is because the starting values are dismal. This is the point I was trying to make. Maybe some concessions will be made in the next cycle, but if I am correct, the SV for a Yurchenko timer at current level 8 is only a 7 or there abouts.

they should change the start value of these and *make* them a new skill. with the mats raised up to l4 height or higher makes it harder to keep a hollow rather than a pike and that can be easily judged. plus they already judge pre-flight and hight off the horse. it just has to be changed. perhaps the new level 7 comes with a new vault requirement instead of a fronthandspring. this should be weighted to be a higher SV than a front handspring

gymgal -

I think you are allowed to be concerned, just not paniced, at the moment. You are right that what happens this summer can have an impact on where an athlete is next year. A gentle inquiry to the coach isn't out of the question, IMO. Good luck.

Well Said, MeetDirector!

I have had discussions with the HC about progressions. The problem is that the new progressions haven't been confirmed yet so it's all up in the air. My original question was more about whether anyone had more info (as in - inside info) about the new requirements.

I am not really all that "concerned" (and certainly not in panic mode:)) about dd and her current skills or training. I trust her coaches to do what is right for her. It has more to do with the coaches (all coaches) will not get the new requirements in time to start preparing the caught-inbetween-L7-girls. If the new set of requirements come out at the end of the summer, that's a training season lost for these girls. If the requirements will not change much, it won't be an issue but if the jump between the levels is high, it will make a big difference. Sure the coaches can guess what will happen but it really is up in the air. My original question was really based more on that than dd's specific case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back