New updated front full videos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
I used to be horrible at front twisting and that's about what mine looked like when I first got a front full down (I was intentionally doing pike open 1/1). After that was in my brain, I eventually moved it to a layout. I can't remember how, I just kind of started doing layout. Now I can punch rudi on a gymnatics floor, so people perceive me as relatively good at front twisting. Which is amusing, because there was some time where my attempts were horrendous and hopeless.

you are now twisting left. this is opposite of your left barani wich is a right twist. looks good.:)

you should have kept this in the same thread as the other.

Congratulations

First I want to congratulate you on your improvement. Well done. I see that you switched from initiating a right full as you were doing in your previous video (because you were trying to go from a left round off in mid air which is actually a right twist)...to a left twisting full. I am happy about this because I would have asked you to do this very thing as my preference. I would have switched your right twisting start to a left twisting start into a left full.
After viewing the new three videos I see that at first you were indeed late twisting and stiff legging the landing. As you got better you improved on this greatly. My general impression about your much improved front full is that you are whipping it. In a back rotating flip, whipping it means you laid back into the flip and probably threw your head back. In a front rotating flip, whipping it means you threw your shoulders down, leaned into the rotation and tucked your head in along with your shoulders. If you are high enough then the result is often over rotation. Your twisting is finishing early as it should. But the flip is rushed and has too much rotation in it at the end. Just before your feet hit the mat, your body is greatly arched. This is not conducive to a stable landing.
Your reaction to having too much rotation at the end of the flip is to swing the crank arm (the arm that pulls in to initiate and accelerate the twist) which was down at your hip, up to over your head to slow or stop your landing. The left arm which was extended over your head throughout the twist is landing lateral out to the left side and cannot help you stop your landing unless it remains overhead. If you were doing a second front flip out of the first flip then you would want to have symmetry on the landing and not have one arm up and the other out to the side. You would want both arms up over your head on the landing ready for the punch front after the full twisting layout.
The style you chose for twisting is the technique used on vaulting to do a handspring with a full twist. One arm is pulled all the way to the hip area while the other arm remains extended overhead. Its a good choice to use to begin the learning curve. However, it is not the best technique to continue using.
First eliminate the whip into the flip. A good drill is to practice front layouts with your arms over your head next to your ears the whole way around till you land. This should give you the feeling you need to wait for your body to come off the mat extended without you remaining in a bent over position at the beginning. Another way to think of this type of layout front is to call it a look-in arms behind the neck layout. Then use the twisting technique you are presently performing.
After you are no longer whipping the flip over, change the twisting technique to where the arms are level and equal and symmetrical in the wrap. Just below shoulder level or at shoulder level. This is a much higher, more efficient and tighter wrap than what you are doing now.
Both arms should squeeze in together tight, right hand over the left wrist or right wrist over the left wrist. You will need to twist the upper torso just after the beginning so that as you "set the twist" to begin the twist, your arms are in the vertical plane sideways like a right cartwheel. From the letter "Y" with your arms, continue passing through a "T" and wrap into a tight position with your arms as you tip your chin up to the top of the left shoulder. Look straight down at the mat on the take-off and do not lose orientation with the ground as the twist begins. As you tip your chin up to the left shoulder and your twisting and flipping rotations begin, you will not lose sight of the mat until the end. There are variations of this action but this will do for a solid start. My guess is that you will be interested in Rudys and Randolphs in short order. :)

i hate to be anal... but it's rudi not "Rudy". these names originated from the German. and for those unfamiliar:

Rudi- 1 1/2 twisting forward somersault.

Randi (Randolph)- 2 1/2 twisting forward somersault.

Reydi (Reydolph)- 3 1/2 twisting forward somersault.

Adolph- 4 1/2 twisting somersault.

What makes you think you are being anal, dunno? Does being anal mean that you are being trivial? If your information is valid then by all means proceed...I am interested in your sources concerning your statement about nomenclature originating from the German. This is the first time I have ever heard this in my life. Gymnastics terminology is ever evolving and ever aggregated. Most of the time a new skill is named after the original performer who introduced the skill to the world or made the skill famous even if they didn't invent it. The naming of skills has nothing to do with nationality. Yet you make a startling claim, dunno. You seem to imply that trampoline nomenclature does not follow this pattern. You downright state that the names of trampoline skills are all German. Lets give you the benefit of the doubt, dunno. Lets agree that all trampoline nomenclature is based on the German language. Lets presume that every skill ever invented on the trampoline was accomplished by people of German decent. Even so, nomenclature has a way of changing and evolving so that both the pronunciation and the spelling deviate from the original form. Does this mean that the millions of people who spell "Rudi" ending in the letter "y" are wrong? Of course not, dunno. If my sources are correct, Dave Roudolph is the guy who gets credit for inventing and making the "Rudi" famous. Like so many names of skills, names end up abbreviated forms of the original spellings or are nicknamed. If I invent a new skill on the trampoline where you bounce on your head and rebound into the air with arms out spinning like a helicopter, lets see how long people call it a "Stretchsportguy" Is it wrong if the name gets shortened and modified? Or are you trying to say that the name of my new skill is cued to be re-named by a committee who will decide how to turn the "Stretchsportguy" skill into a German name? I call your bluff, dunno. Name your sources...

i hate to be anal... but it's rudi not "Rudy". these names originated from the German. and for those unfamiliar:

Rudi- 1 1/2 twisting forward somersault.

Randi (Randolph)- 2 1/2 twisting forward somersault.

Reydi (Reydolph)- 3 1/2 twisting forward somersault.

Adolph- 4 1/2 twisting somersault.

I thought an Adi (Adolph) was a 3.5 and Reydi was 4.5, but this is (mostly) what I learned in T&T as well.

AerialRiver, are you going to USAG T&T Nationals? We have 5 qualifiers and most of them are doing 2 events.

What makes you think you are being anal, dunno? Does being anal mean that you are being trivial? If your information is valid then by all means proceed...I am interested in your sources concerning your statement about nomenclature originating from the German. This is the first time I have ever heard this in my life. Gymnastics terminology is ever evolving and ever aggregated. Most of the time a new skill is named after the original performer who introduced the skill to the world or made the skill famous even if they didn't invent it. The naming of skills has nothing to do with nationality. Yet you make a startling claim, dunno. You seem to imply that trampoline nomenclature does not follow this pattern. You downright state that the names of trampoline skills are all German. Lets give you the benefit of the doubt, dunno. Lets agree that all trampoline nomenclature is based on the German language. Lets presume that every skill ever invented on the trampoline was accomplished by people of German decent. Even so, nomenclature has a way of changing and evolving so that both the pronunciation and the spelling deviate from the original form. Does this mean that the millions of people who spell "Rudi" ending in the letter "y" are wrong? Of course not, dunno. If my sources are correct, Dave Roudolph is the guy who gets credit for inventing and making the "Rudi" famous. Like so many names of skills, names end up abbreviated forms of the original spellings or are nicknamed. If I invent a new skill on the trampoline where you bounce on your head and rebound into the air with arms out spinning like a helicopter, lets see how long people call it a "Stretchsportguy" Is it wrong if the name gets shortened and modified? Or are you trying to say that the name of my new skill is cued to be re-named by a committee who will decide how to turn the "Stretchsportguy" skill into a German name? I call your bluff, dunno. Name your sources...

as learned from my mentors and including eberhard geinger. and they are nicknames from original spellings from the german. and how about george nissen as a source, may he now rest in peace. i'm not going to debate gymnastics folklore. thank you!

CoachGoofy, Yes I am going to Nationals! So excited! We have 7 from our gym going. I qualified on DM and trampoline, I couldn't tumble due to an injury :(

as a former, long live double mini and trampolining. and here is a little of what we used to do in my generation. i am in some of this footage. these were not only my friends but "family" to me. we all grew up together in the 60's and 70's and pioneered on many fronts the evolution of modern gymnastics that all the kids know today. please enjoy a bit of history.

http://www.youtube.com/v/M4fF9fDDXEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/RJWXqH7onXU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/GZAFctKeGjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/vhuVo1e62I0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/T4ubeCN7EkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/w4VGkgtLnao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

and i'm in this one quite a few times. and the 'still' you see of the 16 year old boy with long hair and white tee shirt and white shorts at the top of his bounce before you press play is...well...i'll let you guess. also, george nissen, the inventor of the trampoline is seen, as well as glenn sundby who was a former gymnast and former owner of international gymnast magazine. he can't be seen...he is on top of the flying ring rig taking the film footage shooting downward upon us! i hope you can all enjoy and appreciate what you see. this was at a time when we still enjoyed double popsicles on wooden sticks, breaking them in half to share with our teamates. man...we had a ton of fun in the sun. and plenty of sand that we had to remove from parts of our bodies that we didn't know could take so much sand...:) enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/v/9QpN5aAg1yc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param

i wasn't able to edit the above but wanted to pay my respects to glenn and george who are now both deceased. i loved them dearly.

CoachGoofy, Yes I am going to Nationals! So excited! We have 7 from our gym going. I qualified on DM and trampoline, I couldn't tumble due to an injury :(

Awesome! We have enough qualifiers that my gym is sending me to coach. The athletes are pretty excited...and are trying to talk me into competing next year.

I kind of love T&T.

Thanks dunno for posting those links. All of that was way ahead of its time, awesome and wonderfully insane. They just don't make fun that way anymore. Wow. Glenn personally sent me old issues of acro sports magazines years ago when I wrote to him telling him I was interested in the field. He also sent me a note but I must say, these videos are priceless and they hold nothing back but to put you on the edge of your seat. You have my reverence in that you shared the impossible with the legions of the folklore that defined artistic sports forever. I met George and his daughter who would sometimes show up to gymnastics competitions and bounce on trampoline to help promote Nissen Equipment. George died at age 96 less than two months ago. Like the tide that came in and went out but never ends it is his beating heart that is still alive pumping our gratitude into all artistic sports he influenced.

Aerialriver- Congratulations and thanks for the video.
Dunno-My 11 year old son was born too late. He would have been right out there with you on the rings and the swings and the trampoline and loving every minute of it. Now he just gets in trouble at school for being too daring on the watered down playground equiptment. Thankfully he has diving! People also think my 5 year old daughter is crazy for the things she does (and does well) but I sure it is just genetically incoded somewhere on both sides of the family tree! All 5 of my kids are like that but these 2 in particular have the desire over fear mentality. It is fun to watch.

Aerial, congrats on the improvements!

Dunno, wow is all I can say about the videos!!

We are headed to nationals also, J qualified as a L5 on tumbling and tramp. So cute to see the little ones (she is 7) out there trying! She already has visions of L7 for both next season.

Aerial, congrats on the improvements!

Dunno, wow is all I can say about the videos!!

We are headed to nationals also, J qualified as a L5 on tumbling and tramp. So cute to see the little ones (she is 7) out there trying! She already has visions of L7 for both next season.

Oh so cute!

Our littlest is an 8 year old level 5, and then we have some older 5-7s. And we have some "maybe next year" kids.

T&T kind of makes me happy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back