WAG No gym for a month!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lizzy Brennan

Coach
Gymnast
So here is my story...
I am going to gym camp in Iowa (I do not live in Iowa) for a week and then going to stay with family and work (detassle corn) for the 2-3 weeks duration. I am very excited for camp and to stay with my cousins!

But here's the problem:
The nearest gym facility from where I will be staying for 2-3 weeks is a ymca about 45 minutes away, and I can't drive. So, I'm kind of stuck between having my family (my parents won't be there; only aunts, uncles, and cousins) drive me, or going to the wellness center to workout and stretch. I'm currently working for level 5 and really need to be able to practice bars and tumbling, but would hate to make someone drive me 45 minutes away. I also feel as if I will drive myself crazy without being able to do gymnastics!

Here's part of my plan...
The town's wellness center consists of a nice aerobics room, in which I can stretch, do ab workouts, and basic skills like handstands, walkovers, bhs's, etc. So, every to every other day I'm planning on lightly lifting in the weight room or swimming, and then stretching in the aerobics room. I will also do some quick stretches and my daily ab workout every day at home.

If any of you have anything else that I could add or any tips/advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Ok you're in a compusory level (hopefully 5) and you'll be in gymnastics camp for 1 week and then 2-3 weeks with family so you're really only going to be out of the gym for 2-3 weeks....and that's what vacations are for. You don't need to be driven 45 minutes to work out during your time with family...i'm imagining the whole corn operation is a work out so go with that...

There are things you can work on at home to ensure you don't loose the conditioning that you need.

You can be doing stretching and you should be doing lots of handstands. Also ask your coach to out together a strength program for you to do at home.

There are things you can work on at home to ensure you don't loose the conditioning that you need.

You can be doing stretching and you should be doing lots of handstands. Also ask your coach to out together a strength program for you to do at home.
Thank you very much. I will ask her tomorrow!

I say you should use this time to really develop an insane handstand. Do some PNF stretching and go to town on those handstands too! Make a huge dent in your flexibility and handstand progress.

Corn detassling! That is what we parents call MOTIVATION to study hard and go to college so you don't have to do it all your life. That is one tough summer job. Aaaah, the memories. A popular way for young teenagers to make money for decades....and HARD work! You are definitely going to opt for the pool or nap after detassling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back