Anon No room at the next level…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (b157)

DD received her level placement for next season. We were informed by the coach that she was ready to “skip” a level, however due to girls repeating, moving up from the level she would be skipping, etc., the level is at capacity. If someone were to quit or leave through summer, or be out for an extended period of time, she would take their place. If not, she would not skip and just go to the next level and have a very good year there.

This is a place that we’ve been very happy with, daughter is happy and safe at, and is close to home. I appreciate their honest evaluation of the situation and am glad they see my daughter as talented and enjoy working with her. But I also can’t help but feel like I’m doing her a disservice by keeping her somewhere that can’t currently accommodate exactly where she’s at, and worry about her getting bored or unmotivated.

Wwyd?

I think that it is stupid that gyms would have a maximum amount of girls in a level. If she is ready for it, it would make no sense to hold her back where she would get bored of the routines and skills she would be competing.

Have you looked at any gyms close in your area?

A little. We haven’t formally visited any as I don’t want to create an issue with the current gym. And I’m not sure we want to move. There’s 3 options that are further but still nearby. One has had some safesport issues with abuse recently. One I know is a very high hour gym and my daughter already has to manage some overuse issues at lower hours so that concerns me. The third is the furthest of all, don’t know much about it.

Never heard of a gym holding a gymnast back because there are too many girls in the level she should be in. I'd be looking for a different gym that will place her at the level she belongs in.

You'll get better responses if you can provide the Level she would be skipping and her age. Basically if she's young or competing a higher level, I would have less concerns (assuming that the gym has lots of experience in the highest levels, meaning they know how to advance kids to L10 and beyond).

Never heard of a gym holding a gymnast back because there are too many girls in the level she should be in. I'd be looking for a different gym that will place her at the level she belongs in.

They aren't holding her back rather they are not skipping her.

We need more context here because skipping L2 is different than skipping L5 or skipping L7.

She just competed L4 and will compete L5 instead of L6 that she is ready for? Will she go straight to L7 then after a year of L5?

If so, no big deal at all. Lots of gyms skip one or the other as the requirements are more or less the same.

She just competed L4 and will compete L5 instead of L6 that she is ready for? Will she go straight to L7 then after a year of L5?

If so, no big deal at all. Lots of gyms skip one or the other as the requirements are more or less the same.
Competed 5, was told should go to 7 but the 7/8 coach is at max gymnasts so will go to 6 instead

I think the poster meant daughter competed 5 and would be skipping level 6. In that case doing a year of 6 instead of going straight to 7 should be fine as she'll still have optional routines. I'd be more worried if they were keeping her in a compulsory level when she was ready for optionals; that could be really boring. Your daughter is also young enough that not skipping shouldn't hold her back from getting to Level 10 on time if NCAA is her goal.

Being in an over-full group is not ideal. Potentially less time on apparatus and attention.
Given the injury issues, the full group ahead and the fact that within level six you can basically do level seven - I see no real issue with this, especially since you seem generally happy with the gym. The option to skip wouldn't have been there in the first place if it wasn't a gym that did up training so I would assume that will continue and she will be challenged in a group where the coach can give her more attention.

L6 and L7 are very similar. You can do L7 routines at L6. So it wouldn’t hold your daughter back in the long run as long as she is upskill training during the year!

I think it's nice that your gym is staying strict on the ideal training group sizes. We have a huge team with very experienced coaches and the standing around is still more than I'd like as the paying parent. And as others have said...having an amazing first year in optionals at L6 is a good thing, which seems likely if she's ready for L7. Good luck to your kiddo!

6 vs 7 doesn’t seem like a big deal. With her being so young, the level 6 group might have more similar-aged peers, which is better socially. A gym that you are satisfied with is a very valuable thing and I would not leave over this.

I did read your question. One thing I’d do is to verify your daughter is next on the list to take someone’s spot. Clarify that’s what they truly mean. Depending on relationships, you might want them to know you are seriously weighing all your options. (Or be more forth coming if it’s possible.) You could go on to ask if anyone might be thinking of leaving and doing high school gymnastics etc. You can let them know you are weighing what they told you. If you went elsewhere, would another gym move up your daughter? Consider that angle.

I did read your question. One thing I’d do is to verify your daughter is next on the list to take someone’s spot. Clarify that’s what they truly mean. Depending on relationships, you might want them to know you are seriously weighing all your options. (Or be more forth coming if it’s possible.) You could go on to ask if anyone might be thinking of leaving and doing high school gymnastics etc. You can let them know you are weighing what they told you. If you went elsewhere, would another gym move up your daughter? Consider that angle.

OMG, no. Don't do this! Don't do anything in the part bolded above! It could backfire on you plus what other gymnasts may be planning is truly none of your business and usually would be kept close to the family's vest anyways so the gym may not even know.

Sounds like you are happy at the gym and it sounds like they know how to advance kids along in DP. It is a disappointment to learn your kid won't be moving up when they expected to but in this case the reasoning is solid and the specific levels in question (L6 v L7) won't impact her longevity or progression in the sport. The advice you've received so far has been from people who have experience.

Please don't do what this poster suggests by saying you are weighing all options. It's an aggressive a-hole response in a situation that doesn't warrant it (and it could come back to bite you later).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News