Parents "Not messy" compitition snack ideas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Her favorite protein bar, and Goldfish crackers too. ( I thought they were just for toddlers, but my 11y/o loves them.) She used to eat beef jerky at the meets too. Mostly eaten before awards.

Goldfish, grapes (frozen or refrigerated), apple sauce in the little squeeze container, apple slices, boiled egg, trail mix, cereal bar, turkey/ham and cheese roll up, veggie straws, carrot sticks, cheese sticks or cubes of cheese, beef sticks, etc. Water to wash it all down with. No peanuts since you don't know if anyone else at a meet might be allergic.

So if we're talking "not messy" here, I would rule out grapes that have been frozen because they could get mushy after they thaw and by the time they're eaten....and I am pleading with all of you gym parents, please no boiled eggs...the smell alone always made me wretch as a kid and I can't imagine eating a hard boiled egg coming out of a gym bag would not be messy...and the turkey/ham and cheese roll ups I'm just not sure how they'd hold up for eating at a gym meet ( meaning, they would be something best served coming out of a fridge, not a gym bag)...

When I think of a "not messy" gym meet snack, things that come to mind are those that generally do not leave a residue on little hands and are dry to start...like pretzel sticks, skittles ( fruit flavored so fits my definition of healthy ;)), fruit snacks ( i.e. the mini bags by Welch's), goldfish ( although not the pizza flavored or the "flavor blasted" ones because those do leave a residue on hands)...

As a rule, I didn't send food in the gym bag to eat during meets because my girls knew we were going out to eat after the meet and they could wait until then, and no one ever complained.

but why fish ? I do wonder sometime you know !

Because they're "the snack that smiles back" so obviously, that makes fish the ideal animal to shape them after.

They also make store-brand cheesy crackers in a whale shape... And organic ones are bunny-shaped. And there are circle ones, and square ones, and square ones with letters imprinted on them...

Cheese crackers in every shape, for everyone!

#'merica #capitalism

So if we're talking "not messy" here, I would rule out grapes that have been frozen because they could get mushy after they thaw and by the time they're eaten....and I am pleading with all of you gym parents, please no boiled eggs...the smell alone always made me wretch as a kid and I can't imagine eating a hard boiled egg coming out of a gym bag would not be messy...and the turkey/ham and cheese roll ups I'm just not sure how they'd hold up for eating at a gym meet ( meaning, they would be something best served coming out of a fridge, not a gym bag)...
We do a lunch pack with built in cooler. Hard packs, so anything squishable, doesn't. And anything crunchable, doesn't. No one eats the hard boiled yolks here so they don't make it into the container. I do put hummus or avacado on them though :D

As a rule, I didn't send food in the gym bag to eat during meets because my girls knew we were going out to eat after the meet and they could wait until then, and no one ever complained.

Things have changed a lot apparently since your daughters and I were compulsories. I never, ever brought food to a meet. Or practice. Unless it was a camp or clinic or summer practice. But not like a 4.5-5 hour evening practice. I remember if people brought snacks they never ate them until awards, but it wasn't really a thing. Now it's very expected. I don't even bother to fight it, not that I mind anyway if they're hungry but yes just corroborating there was a time when you didn't eat at meets although you usually got some candy from somewhere somehow.

I would recommend applesauce squeeze packets (Go Go Squeeze), they could potentially be messy but no more than anything else and elementary school kids can generally handle them just fine.

I'm the bad mom who's usually buying her kid a water from concessions seconds before she runs on the gym floor. As for snacks, a granola bar or two live in her gym bag, yet to be eaten. Pretzels would be a good one though. Not messy, easy to eat, and easy to share. Our first stop after a comp is food, by then she's hungry!

I always have a couple of protein bars in the comp. bag. Baby carrots, apple slices, small pretzels or crackers, cheese cubes, & a candy surprise are always easy to pack & nibble on if needed. My ds really likes watermelon cubes (packed in a hard container).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back