MAG Official "good luck at regionals" thread!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I was wondering about growth spurt as well. The guys sometimes grow so fast, it's hard just to maintain their skills.

I think it's a combo of growth spurt and loss of self-esteem.
He is also not being directed for proper form and shapes. Mostly "self training".

The skill loss is very frustrating. My DD's been through that this year. DS too, to a lesser extent, but wow, it's tough when they lose something they've had for a really long time! Sounds like his coach is not very patient about it either. About all I can say is whatever they lose (or "misplace," as Skschlag has said), it always comes back. Hopefully he'll start feeling better when the meet season is over and the pressure is off!

Hahaha, I think we had too much fun at seder Friday night. DS's coach complained mightily to me that DS did not have a good practice on Saturday. He was shaking his head and repeating, "He missed his kip on parallel bars! He missed his kip on parallel bars!" All those boys were driving him nuts -- both the Jewish boys who'd been up too late Friday and the Christian boys who were anticipating Easter Sunday. Made me wish that our one Muslim guy hadn't switched to a different gym so he could have had ONE athlete who was thinking about gymnastics at that practice.

I don't understand the rosters. It has 3 boys on my son's team in the same squad, but it looks like they are starting on 3 separate events? Am I reading that right?

I don't understand the rosters. It has 3 boys on my son's team in the same squad, but it looks like they are starting on 3 separate events? Am I reading that right?
The event at the top is the starting event. Next to the names they listed each squad's order of events. You ds's squad begins on rings.

Ah, ok, thanks!
I get the confusion though, even though I understood the starting event, every time I see the slit I attribute and event to each name.

I hope your ds can go out there at regionals and just do gymnastics. I truly hope somehow he can remember why he loves it.

Agreed, Sce! Whether at regionals or afterward, I hope that he finds that place where gym is exciting and fun again very soon. The end of meet season/beginning of new training should be such a fun and happy time for everyone.

I do, too. I just tell him to please remember he is doing this sport because it's fun and challenging (he loves challenges). Nothing else matters. Of course, he thinks winning matters, but I hope he can just focus on doing his best while having fun.

Counting down the final hours to competition time! I'm nervous for him. He sprained a toe a week and a half ago and lost some time on vault and tumbling, but he finished this week strong and is feeling good. I think it's just me who's a nervous wreck. d

Well this season's in the books for ds. Regionals didn't go according to plan. He started on PB and fell on his first event. Floor was his best routine and scored 13.1, but finished .05 out of the medals. Even if he had his best meet, he wouldn't have qualified to Nationals though. He was thinking, if everything went according to plan, he could get into the mid 72s. The last qualifying place was 73.85. He just wasn't going to beat that with his current routines. On to training for level 10!

DS had a mixed meet at regionals - best AA ever and made all his routines. BAD floor!!! (still got the silver, but he was in a ridiculously easy age group being 14 as a level 7....), BAD vault!!! (his two best events) but improved in all the other 4 events and made bonus skills that he's been working on in each one. 4th AA so over all great for skipping L6...what I told him is most impressive is that he was solid on all 6 events - clean (other than his ridiculous landings on floor - which may have happened because they had changed rotation groups and he warmed up with the wrong one before his coach noticed, then had to do HB without warm up and still made his entire routine for first time ever (even in practice) - so his adrenaline was crazy when they went to floor), and solid.

Long day, long drive and I'm very thankful its all over!

My boy hurt his hand 2 days before Regionals.
Tried 1st event, vault, and didn't come close to looking like his State champion form.
coaches shut him down rest of the meet
However he talked them into doing Rings and finished with AA score of 20.
now he's mad because Dr told him 1 week rest & reevaluate.

Poor guy! That really stinks for him, but probably smart of the coahes to stop him :( Hopefully he heals quickly!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back