Overcoming fear of giants and flyaways?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I was speaking to dd's coach tonight and she was raving about dd's bars... up to the point of actually going over on giants and doing the flyaway. And this is after doing it once with a spot on the strap bar.

So her coach was working with her on swings, and she said to dd, "when your form and position is right we will go over", then all of a sudden dd breaks form every swing, and admits she is too scared to go over for giants.

Her coach said the same happened with flyaways, the first time she did it great with a spot and was in perfect position, but the next time they were going to go for it dd would simply refuse to let go of the bar.

This is something that will just take lots and lots and lots and lots of tries to get over the fear right? Anyone with experience with this, is it usually better not to mention it to dd, or better to talk and have her talk about the fear to try and overcome it?

TIA, it's her first fear of ANYTHING gym relaed so it's a new one over here.

It's pretty common in crops up especially as to the flyaway.

And I've seen kids do skills and be reticent to do them again after doing them the first time. I think they finally realized how much said skill freaked them out.

Give it time and go back to breaking it down.

Fears are so, so common in this sport. Just try searching for "fears" or "mental blocks." It's just such a given in this sport, that if you ever have a coach tell you "I've NEVER had a child develop a fear," then you know that's a bunch of bunk and RUN for the hills! But I digress..... The best thing you can do is just be supportive. Do NOT ask after every practice if she did X Y or Z skill. Even if you think that you're not "pressuring" her, it's still pressure. IF she wants to talk about it, then you can reassure her that EVERY gymnast goes through a fear of some sort or another, and you're confident that her coach will back her down and have her do more drills, etc. Reassure her that she WILL get over it with hard work and determination!!

I'm sure someone here will come up w/a link to Doc Ali. She's the true pro. when it comes to gymnasts and fears!

I agree with the the previous threads, my DD is going through the same thing right now. She can do her giants & flyway on the pit bar with prefect form and when she gets to the actually UB it begins to freak her out. A few years ago she had a severe fall jumping to the high bar resulting in several surgeries, so the fear factor is always in the background no matter what. Bars are her favorite and she does outstanding once she gets her fears out the way. These skills have a bit more of a lock on her though, we did talk about it the other night with good results. I asked her if it was the skills that scared her or was it the fear itself. She said she knows she's got the skill no problem, the fear of falling and becoming injured again was the bigger issue. I mentioned to her the biggest skill she could ever accomplish was her fear. Some how that clicked with her, she said maybe if I approach the bars only thinking about my form and finishing and not my what if's it should work. After her next practice she said it helped a little, I told her we all started out with baby steps. Good luck with your DD, it'll all come in due time and then it will be something else it worry about. Oh, I usually ask at the end of the week how practice went, kind of a weekly wrap up of gym, school, friends, etc. I have found she opens up more when I ask then. It's doesn't come across as pressure or being nosey to her, just curiosity.

For that move it is so common. Some kids get over the fear quickly and some it seems like it takes forever. Reminds me of when they first go for a kip. Every kid will be different and she will get it when she gets it. Its better not to dwell on it as that could just add to the fear. For most it seems no matter how long they are "afraid" of what ever sill it seems like one day they just suck it up and do it then they realize they can do it and the big fear is gone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back