Palm Guard Grips Sizing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter's coach suggested she could try a pair of palm guards to help with her sore hands. I found a pair called "pink pixie" at ten-o.com. I measured DD's hands, and she is right exactly in between sizes. From her palm to the base of her middle finger is exactly 3 inches.

Size 1 - 2.5 to 3
Size 2 - 3 to 3.5

I'm not sure which size she should get, or even if she will like them at all. They are only $10, so it's not a huge deal if she decides she doesn't like them. (And she has two gymnast sisters coming up behind her as well.) It's her 7th birthday in 3 weeks, and I'm sure she would like them. She has mentioned wanting to try grips, and wondered when she would get a pair.

She is training level 4 right now (and will continue competing level 3 until early spring). Also, she does TOPs, and they spend a lot of time on the bar.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

She may want grips, but she doesn't need grips. Most of the younger girls want grips to look like the older girls. Her hands will get sore and thats ok---they will toughen up. She will get rough skin---use a pumice stone and maybe a little vitamin E(no lotion). If she starts in palm guards now, she'll have to readjust to the real dowel guards at sometime anyway.

Also you could ask the coach to make her tape guards---send in a roll of athletic tape.

Personally I don't get what the big deal is about getting grips, is it like a right of passage or something now? I do know as a kid we could not have dowel grips until level 7 and no palm guard till level 5 but in all honesty I don't see why it matters. Our girls are allowed dowel grips in level 3! The coaches thoughs are might as well get used to bars with them asap. It does really stink having to get used to them later.

Also correct me if I am wrong but op you are speaking of palm guards not dowel grips? To answer your question and stop my rant :p I would go with the larger size, just have the coach check them before she does anything with them and don't forget to get a pair of wrist bands, the straps are really painful without.

I would get the larger size just to make sure, she's at an age when she'll grow a lot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back