Parents patellar stabilization brace?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

teksquad

Proud Parent
Hi Everyone.
My daughter recently dislocated her kneecap, and it is being treated without surgery. Her orthopedic doctor wants her to wear a patellar stabilization brace for the first 3 months of resuming doing gymnastics skills. He recommended a Palumbo brace. ( http://www.shop.palumbobraces.com/category.sc?categoryId=2 ) I also found one called a Hely Webber Shields brace that has an interesting design. ( )

Do you have any experience with either of these braces? Or has your gymmie used another one he or she found to be supportive and comfortable? Many thanks for any information you can give me!

Thank you, buttercup! I just saw a photo this week of Maggie Nichols wearing this brace, too! I appreciate his and your feedback, and really consider this one. Thanks so much for the link, too!

My DD wears a brace similar to this - different name brand prescribed by her ortho. It has worked beautifully for her.

My DD wears a brace similar to this - different name brand prescribed by her ortho. It has worked beautifully for her.
Thank you, andarc! Do you mean similar to the web brace that buttercup talked about, or one of the braces I mentioned in my original post?

Dds brace is similar to the Hely Webber Shields brace in the way it wraps and the rubber piece that moves. The ortho was afraid she would fracture her knee. She hasn't had any pain since wearing it and really doesn't wear it anymore (although she should.) She was out of tumbling and vault for three weeks then wore the brace consistently for six weeks. She has been pain free for about a month.

Thanks, andarc for the feedback! I really like the gel u-shape pad design from the video. It looks like a nice, lightweight brace. (thinking hot summertime temps in the gym) Gla to hear that your daughter gets good support from this design. Had she also dislocated her kneecap in her injury? Best wishes to her, and a great season next year!

It was just an overuse issue. I don't really remember exactly what he called it. Just that he said off of it for 3 weeks and always wear the brace or it could fracture. She also has sinding Larsen johansson and it seems to help that as well. We are now dealing with a forearm issue and state is next weekend. Ugh! Back to the ortho on Monday. I'll be glad when this season is over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back