Coaches PCD Program at IGC?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious if anyone has done or heard about the Professional Coach Diploma program at IGC? I've been coaching high school for the last 2 seasons and will be again this year, so thought about doing next summer as a way to prepare to jump back in to club coaching (which is the plan as of now), but other than an IG article a few years ago, I really don't know much about it. I feel as though my progression as a coach has been pretty limited during this time, I try to keep up to date with videos and articles and stuff, but in terms of hands on coaching I've been pretty limited.
Is it a worthwhile experience? What are the costs, requirements, time commitment? Is there a better way to get hands on coaching experience- I know USAG has a one day hands on class, but I figure this would be more intensive? Any info or insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

not having experienced myself, everyone that i have heard talk about this cert says it's very good. :)

I talked to Nick about it last year but ended up coaching at another gym. Some of it is detailed on the website, most I think.

Have you checked that out yet?

Otherwise, I'll look up that email but this hotel computer doesn't allow me to copy and paste anything. Grr.

I did check out the website and couldn't find anything other than an application and a brief write-up on the program, maybe it's been taken down since it's so close to camp season?

I've heard good things, and know some people who did it. But I have a vague idea in my mind it's a more than one week commitment, which doesn't really work for me (I'd enjoy doing it on one week in the summer, but I coach JO and there's no way I can take off multiple weeks for obvious reasons). That might be outdated though, or maybe the people I know just chose to do more than one week. I believe Nick Blanton is still in charge of it, and he is a member here (blantonnick) you could PM him.

This may be a little late but I did the PCD program for one summer (I was there 9 weeks). It didn't suit me well as I didn't adjust well to the demands. It was very busy. Each person was a cabin counselor, coached all day, and had coaching class at night. I had a difficult time being so disconnected from my family/friends (2 hours free per day to use phone/computer, 22 hours "on" with campers). However, the learning was wonderful! I learned so much and had an incredible amount of practice with hands on spotting and access to amazing coaches. If you can handle the lifestyle, the rewards were worth it!
The full program lasts 5 years and progresses to higher skills each year. It's well run, has curriculum, tests, practice spotting, gym time, etc. Despite my struggles it was all around great for many people.
It's free to attend and you make a very small wage. Let me know if you have any other questions and I might be able to have some input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back