WAG Peeling feet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Okay, my DD (7), her feet are peeling. Mainly the balls and the heels. (more the balls than anything)
She has VERY sweaty feet and hands, and is constantly in the chalk trying to keep her hands and feet "dry".
I pointed out her sweat issue and her peeling feet to the Dr. Wanted to make sure she didn't end up with athlete's foot (the peeling). He said that she was just a sweaty kid, and if she was still like that once she "got older" that he would address the sweat issue then. But she was too young to really do anything about that now. But he said even though her feet are sweaty, spending all that time with them in chalk is drying them out.
I got her some "foot cream" to put on them at night with some aloe socks. We also got a pumice stone to scrub her feet with. Has anyone ever tried to use one of those on the foot of a 7 yr old who is very ticklish? That's a magical experience..lol
Just wondering if this is normal...or if my kid is just a oddity?
I always knew she was a sweaty little monkey..but now she is a peeling monkey too..lol
Any other advice on how to take care of her feet?
Is this preventable?

I am not a Dr and I hope I don't get my head ripped off for saying this but I wonder if she could put some deodorat on her feet before practice and Obviously wash it off when you get home. Just a thought?????

Can she wear socks and gym shoes for a while? At least until her feet stop peeling and get back to normal. Then you can experiment with creams and potions to try and prevent it.

My daughter's feet are also peeling right now... not big sheets of skin peeling off, but little bits... like they almost feel "hairy" to the touch. We hypothesized that it might give her some extra traction on beam. ;) When I suggested this, she said, "Well, I did stick 5 routines in a row tonight!" Unfortunately her "hairy feet" didn't do their job at her meet last weekend... she fell on her full turn.

I did have her scrub her feet with a pummice stone in the bath and then put on lotion and socks. I know some people swear by those "aloe infused" socks, though I don't know how long their "aloe-infused-ness" lasts. Truly, with all of the damage she does to her body in gymnastics (sore muscles and rips and beam-bites and severs and whatever else) peeling feet barely make it on to my radar.

Not only do Little Monkey's feet peel, she currently has a huge CRACK across the bottom of her toe! I took her to the Dr to check for infection, ped said it is all due to dry skin and the chalk aggravating the problem....just keep moisturizing and at night, I put extra heavy duty mositurizer (like Aquaphor) and make her wear white cotton socks. She hates this!

Not only do Little Monkey's feet peel, she currently has a huge CRACK across the bottom of her toe! I took her to the Dr to check for infection, ped said it is all due to dry skin and the chalk aggravating the problem....just keep moisturizing and at night, I put extra heavy duty mositurizer (like Aquaphor) and make her wear white cotton socks. She hates this!
I used this "crack cream" on my feet once and it worked great. More of a spray than a cream though. Wish I remembered the name.
Ds has this problem too, I keep assuming it was athletes foot, now I am wondering if I am wrong! He is a very sweaty child also.

Thank you everyone for the advice.
Her feet aren't peeling deep either..at least not yet.
But I worry because as a kid my feet did the same thing (I practically lived at the city pool in the summer) but would get so bad they would peel real deep and crack. I don't want hers getting to that point.
We do have a foot cream (just a vaseline brand). We have the aloe socks, although they don't fit her that tight as they don't make them for 7 yr old little feet..lol. She has been using these two together at night.
Glad to know she isn't the only one going through this...lol

I used this "crack cream" on my feet once and it worked great. More of a spray than a cream though. Wish I remembered the name.
Ds has this problem too, I keep assuming it was athletes foot, now I am wondering if I am wrong! He is a very sweaty child also.

I took DD to dr to rule out athlete's foot before I started "treating" because she has a meet this Sat and this happened last week. Coach has something else that he puts on her during practice. No idea of name, lol.

I brought it up with the Dr. too..just to make sure she didn't have anything funky going on there (because she does sweat a lot). He said pretty much said the same thing your doctor told you about your DD.
It's just from being so dry from the chalk and from the "excessive" use. (not really excessive..but more than the average joe) That's why it is more the balls of her feet than her heals (although her heels are doing it a little bit).

My feet used to peel all the time, I ended up putting Burt's Bees foot cream on them at night with socks over it, that helped me a lot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back