WAG Piked back handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just got my back handspring on a mat today, (yay!) except I am piking.
My coach told me I was, though I don't know how badly.
I don't get stuck in a handstand or anything so it can't be that bad, right?
Anyway, my questions are...
Will I gradually stop piking as I do more back handsprings alone and get more comfortable?
AND How do I stop piking? Like is there anything I should try to do to stop it?

Form in a back handspring is very important to me, so I really want to stop piking. I really really want help because I don't want this to take away from the glory of me getting my back handspring alone.
Thank you sooo much!!
:) Any tip or tidbit is appreciated.

A drill you could try during training is doing a back handspring and finish it on your belly, arms and legs up. One this is well executed, land it on your hands and feet, your feet being as far as you can from your hands.

I don't know if you're piking at the beginning or end..but if you're piking at the beginning like when you jump to when you put your hands on the ground then think about opening your belly button and hips to the ceiling when you do it. If you're piking down at the end the it's probably just because you don't have much power doing it yet..that one will correct itself over time hopefully.

I don't know what piking at the beginning looks like. I know I am piking at the end, though. Maybe the end, too.
Thanks for the advice:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back