Please tell me about TOPs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
The gym my 6.5 year old DD belongs to is starting a TOPs program. My DD has been invited to train for TOPs. The only thing I was told is that it will be an extra 2.5 hours once per week, and that they will work on strength and flexibility.

I was hoping some experienced parents might be able to tell me more about TOPs and what to expect.

Thanks!!

TOPS is different for every Region and State the goals may be the same but what you can expect is different . Basilcy think lots of conditioning.

here is a link to USA Gymnastics it has the general info for TOPS
:: USA Gymnastics :: TOPs Program Overview ::

From that page on the left hand side there are other menu items on the Tops program. Like what are the Physical abilities, testing and the national calander. that should answer general information that most states and regions and gyms will follow.

The best person to ask about what you can expect at your gym is the coach doing the TOPs program.

Just a hunch, but that extra 2.5 hrs of training will cost you extra money. Some gyms have the girls doing TOPS even buy a "team" leo. I would ask if every girl that does the program will get to test. Some gyms get selective on who they will send to testing and I think as a parent you need to be aware of this.

The testing is only done in the summer, so your dd will test in June/July2011. Some states offer multiple test dates and others only 1. Yes, you have to pay to test. If she will turn 8 before the end of 2011 then she will test as an 8yo, if not then a 7yo. Right now, the 7yos are given recognition of their results by being named to diamond team(highest scores) etc---no travel to national testing. This is the 1st year they are letting 8yo go to Houston for national testing and from some posts by coaches only a handful are going.
For the younger girls the focus is only on strength and flexibility. Some kids love the training, others don't like it at all.

Some gyms love the TOPs program, some dabble in it and others never do it----it is not required by USAG. The advantage is working on strength and flexibility with younger girls which can never hurt. Some gyms just incorporate the TOPs stuff into their regular team training.

As far as qualifying to the national testing, it is how your dd's score stacks up against every other kid her age in the US that tested.

I know there are some other parents on here with alot of experience wtih TOPS, so hopefully they can add to this.

Our gym incorporates the TOPS program into the regular training schedule for all of the gymnasts regardless of age. Only three girls tested this year though. Our HC knows who will even have a chance of qualifying and makes the decision based on this. I think it really helps all of our girls. We have two going to the National testing in Texas this year. One of which is only 8, the other is 10 and was there last year and made the "National" TOPS team. It is great experience for the gymnasts who qualify. It takes some hard work on behalf of the young gymnasts that are working towards that goal, however.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back