points deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My understanding is that there could be a deduction by the head judge, but the gymnast must first receive a warning. I would assume it would fall under the .2 incorrect attire deduction that would cover dangling earrings, nail polish, etc. I've heard of head judges giving a warning under this deduction for hair below the shoulder (which is a safety concern), but never specifically seen it for a bra strap. I think it college gym there are exceptions for skin colored bras.

Ask her coach to be sure.

Last edited:
What do you mean about deductions for hair below shoulders?

My daughter had hair that was mid back length last season and would often wear it in a 'high' ponytail for meets. It fell below her shoulders but she never got a deduction (I assume...I would think the judge would note this on the score card, though perhaps I'm wrong??) Her coach never said anything. Her hair was 'glued' down and the pony was very neat.

In our area, teams seem to run the gamut with hair...some gyms do the really fancy small braid thingies but many (ours included) do a basic pony tail. Sometimes we do buns but it really depends on mood of the parent as well as check in time (I'm not good with a bun if we have an early check in!)

Just curious!

Perhaps this is a question for a different thread, but I am also interested in knowing the rules regarding the lenth of a ponytail. My DD's gym gave the girls a specific length limit for the ponytails in competition. So I was really surprised when I watched Worlds and saw all the long ponytails. I was even more shocked (I don't know why) by Maroney's half pony/ half bun... which looked a bit unsecure and maybe unsafe? Anyone?

I am not sure about the deduction but I don't think there is a deduction for long hair. As for Maroney's half pony half bun thing they are actually surprisingly secure particularly if you put it in a pony first and with a separate hair tie do the bun thing, i use it all the time for training in summer months can go a whole training without adjusting it. With a pony tail i have to re do it about 3 times or more.

My hair is about halfway down my back and i have never (as far as i know of) been deducted for it being too long, i have seen deductions for insecure hair that has fallen out during routines.

Also curious, i know there is a deduction for picking your wedgie but is there a deduction for getting a wedgie?

Not sure on the deductions, but dd's hair is just below the shoulders and when we just do a high pony at meets she has had problems. She has caught it under her hands during back extension rolls for instance. It hurts and causes her head to jerk and for her to not do the skill properly as well - which I am sure is a deduction. Now we do french braids to make sure it is all kept in.

This is just an anecdote here. DD has hair down to her mid-lower back so her ponytails are very long. The first few meets, we just did a simple ponytail with spider webs in the front/top. but I noticed that her hair from the ponytail was hitting her in the face during certain skills. So I did a ponytail then braided it. Even though it was just as long, the braid stayed to the back and never got in the way. Comparing the meets with/without the braids, you can see the difference in scores across all events. about .2-.4. That's a huge difference in an all around score. Last year, I started doing a ponytail then dividing it into 5-6 smaller ones and braiding them. then I folded them in half and secured them under the ponytail. Looked beautiful and she got many comments from coaches and other gymnasts. even a couple of judges.

I think the deduction mentioned above was for hair that is below the shoulders and not pulled back at all. But as long as the hair isn't causing a safety issue (obstructing vision, smacking the gymnast in the face mid-skill) I doubt they would take anything- at least without letting the coach know about the problem beforehand.

Before each meet season we have a judge come in and work with the girls and these questions come up each session. This judge that does come is YMCA, USAG and also college. She stated that you will first get a warning for bra straps, underwear and hair. If its not fixed then the deductions will start. She advised us to avoid the underwear issue wear underwear the color of the leo or close to the girls skin tone. With hair, if they do the "blow" thing to get it out of their face or move it with their hands its also a deduction. She also told us that hair that is really done up is looked down by the judges since it can affect their tumbling depending on what they are doing. She also said all hair that can be pulled back should be pulled back.

As with the wedgies, she stated they have all had them and it does not hurt your score. Like she told us remember most of us were gymnasts we know wedgies happen just dont pick them.

This is 2nd hand, but......At our state level 10 meet the girls were told that if their pony tail was long enough to touch their eye brows, .1 deduction. (L10 girls told my dd)

My understanding is if they start with undergarments sticking out when they salute in they can take a deduction but if they pop out during the performance they can't. At least that is what I was told in a recent Judging course I took over the summer. I'm sure some Judge here will have a better grasp on this.

As for the hair thing there really isn't a specific deduction for that or things like jewelry, nail polish or some of the other things I've always thought there was a deduction for but a judge can deduct if they feel there is somthing on the gymnast that could be a safety issue. So long hair could fall under that as well as jewelry. Nail polish can be if gymnast is injured - they can't see nail bed and that is important to see if there is a medical issue if a gymnast is hurt. What is "safe" or "Unsafe" I guess is up to judges discression.

Just a follow-up comment since I actually raised the point on the hair past the shoulders (apologies to the OP for getting slightly off track -- I think it falls on same potential deduction as the bra strap though). I find this type of deduction particularly annoying because I think it's inconsistently applied by judges. We had instances in two different meets last season (one for optionals, one compulsory) where we had gymnasts warned about ponytails below the shoulder. It was easily fixed.

I understand the potential safety concern, but it's frustrating when you look around a meet and see plenty of other gymnasts with long hair. You ask yourself -- why is it okay for them? Sorry for the minor rant, but it's been a real issue for our gymmies.

My DD always weres a bun. She doesn't want to guess if her pony is ok or not and she doesn't like the pony whipping her in the face when she does tricks and tumbling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back