Poll: Straddle or Pike Glide Kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dreamergymnast

Do you use a straddle or pike glide in your kips? What's your preference?

I originally did them piked, then I had to straddle because of my bar mount (a round off onto the springboard, straddle jump over the low bar and catch on the other side. Like the last part of a tkatchev.).

Personally, I think some gymnasts have really pretty straddles, like they do some sort of leg circle thing and it's really pretty. So I prefer straddles when done right, then pikes.

I prefer piked, though my reasons are more practical than technical; if a gymnast does a piked glide, I can very easily set up a spotting block next to them, allowing me to easily spot kip cast handstand, or kip free hip, or other such combinations. If the gymnast does a straddled glide, the spotting block gets in the way.

I also think a piked glide looks nicer on most gymnasts.

I pike because I think that it's easier, even though most people think it's harder. I've tried straddle and I can make it consistently, but it's never as good as when I pike.

I do both!:p if I'm just doing it from the floor on the low bar I straddle but when I do it from my shoot half I pike haha

I pike glide on the first kip cast hand on the low bar if I'm doing one, but pike glide into/out of anything else. So if I'm going multiple kip cast hands in a row, the first glide is straddle and the rest are piked. I didn't use to do this, but about 1.5 years ago I just started pike gliding and it stuck.

I started out doing straddle glides but then I pulled my hip flexor and pikes were less strenuous on my hips. Now as a coach I like it when kids pike for the same reason Geoffrey said.

Piked because I don't have t worry about one foot being higher than the other, and a pike makes it easier to use my core muscles........ and they're easier to spot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back