Positive gym change story

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
We were very happy with our old gym, but the time came for the coaches to move on and although we found a great new coach, the training times changed and didn't fit in with the rest of the family schedule (Sunday mornings don't work when you have 2 church organists for parents!). So, we found a new, bigger gym that is 35 minutes away. DD trialled and they put her in the most appropriate squad for her.

It was hard for her for a couple of weeks because she really missed her old friends, and some things were just done differently. We are now only one month down the line and the difference is amazing. The first thing was when she came home and said one of her friends had got their upstart. It was the 'friend' word rather than the upstart that excited me the most that time. Anyway, last night I got to stay and watch and saw her happily tumbling (round off, flick, tuck back), vaulting (handspring over a decent height) and then finally - the back walkover on the beam :) These were all things that she had been going through a fear of and now she can't wait to get back for the next session to do them. When she moved she could do a cartwheel and spin on the beam - but didn't always land them - and now she doesn't even think they are worth mentioning.

Interestingly, there is no way that I think she would have coped with a larger more formal gym a year ago. But her old coaches gave her the confidence and skills to believe she could do gymnastics, and now that she is in a purpose built gym (rather than a leisure centre with limited equipment) it is all coming together.

I just thought I'd share a happy story.

Just that pesky upstart to master now. It's been nearly there for longer than I can remember....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back