Parents Practice at another gym on vacation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
I heard another mom talking at pick up the other day about working out at another gym while on vacation. Apparently they vacation same place every year, and her daughter works out at a gym there. Has anyone ever heard of this? DD's gym is closed for two weeks, and then we go on vacation for a week. DD is worried about missing three weeks bc I think they get evaluated in early Aug. Something like that. She is only level 2/3. Not sure which yet--tbd. Would it be ridiculous to call a gym where we are vacationing and ask if she can come in one afternoon to a practice? Or even open gym? Or just tell DD not to worry about it?

We did this this year during spring break because we were away the week before state. It worked out well and my daughter had a lot of fun being with new girls and coaches.

Thanks! I can definitely see doing it for an optional level kid, but I thought maybe a little much for level 3?? Knowing my dd, she would love to do it though. She would probably live at a gym if she could.

We go to spring break at the same place every year, so my DD has actually done privates with the same coach at a gym where we vacation. It has worked out really well.

Yes, a little much for a level 2/3 kid. It's not ideal to miss three weeks of gym, but for a lower level compulsory it's not as crucial to be in the gym as it would be for an optional gymnast.

That's kinda where I was leaning. The other mom has one moving up to level 4 but also an older child who might be optional level or close, so that makes more sense. I'm sure she would pick up the skills again fairly quickly even with missing the few weeks

If I could afford it, I would allow DD to do that in a heart beat, just because she would love it. It may not be ness, but I think three weeks is a log break for any gymmie, and a kid could lose newly acquired, and not yet mastered, skills.

Yeah, I think my dd would also really enjoy it for fun. She usually misses the gym a lot if she even misses a week or few days due to being sick or whatever.

Thanks! I can definitely see doing it for an optional level kid, but I thought maybe a little much for level 3?? Knowing my dd, she would love to do it though. She would probably live at a gym if she could.

We did it spring break of 2013, DD was old L3 (she had a meet the weekend after we came back), and then again this past March for new L3.

When I'd first heard about a friend doing it, I thought the same as you, but knowing DD had a meet the following week, we thought "why not?". So when I contacted gyms in the area, I was sure to point out her level, so that if they thought it was a bit much, they'd say so.

The first time, DD had a private (in Maui), but this past March, she was allowed to practice with the gym's L3 team (in New Orleans) (that scared/nerved the beejeezus out of her, but they were all the same level as her, so it worked out great.)

For me, it was more of to keep her in shape during a week away, but also for the fun of it.

Both times we did it was because of a meet the following week. I think I'd also have done it if she were being evaluated shortly after the break, too.
And yes, a lot of fun, too!

(it's also a way to get a fresh pair of eyes on the gymmie, maybe some fresh pointers, without going to a rival gym in your own area...)

It is quite common to practice at other gyms during vacation. Three weeks is a long time without gym. But I don't think it is necessary at L2 or L3 unless there is one that is conveniently located, does not interfere with vacation and your daughter is bored. You may want to find a gym the two weeks your gym is closed but I'd enjoy the vacation and not worry about it. We went to Asia for 4 weeks - mid December to mid Jan in the middle of my daughter's L4 (old) season. She had a meet 4 days after we returned. Believe it or not, she won 1st AA (could be just luck, but we had about 15 gymnasts in our L4 team alone). We've taken 2-3 weeks vacation at a time every year. It was only last season as an L9 did my daughter notice it affected her skills. She now hesitates going on vacation. So we are just now reconsidering vacation length and time of the year. Enjoy your vacations while you can.

But, this is good to think about assuming DD is still doing gym at level 7 or 8, and we want to take a vacation!

Every summer my girls spend the week with my inlaws and last year I called the gym where they live and asked if my girls could practice with them and they said yes. I had them signed up for 2 days, but they ended up going 3! They loved it and it was fun seeing the coaches and girls at our state meet! They are going again this year and can't wait!

My DD will be 2nd year Level 10. She will miss 3 weeks this summer - team is off 2 weeks and we have an extra week due to family obligation. Unless we have to be away during meet season right before an 'important' meet, I would not sweat it. Her coaches are firm believers in bodies needing a break, and an extra week during off-season will not make or break a skill. They have conditioning that is expected to be done during the off weeks, that is the most that is asked of the girls, and we remain active during vacations.

If it were for the summer that we were away, I would for sure try to find an "away from home" gym. There definitely isn't a meet to be worried about. She's really on the cusp of level 3, and some of the skills are somewhat newly attained. I think they have to be able to complete the skills a certain number of times independently to count as a pass when they are evaluated. I think they are pretty strict about it. She will probably be ok. Maybe doing some of her conditioning exercises while we are away is a good idea, I wouldn't want to go for 3 weeks without exercising, and my exercise routine is a lot more laid back than the gymnasts'!

My DD will be 2nd year Level 10. She will miss 3 weeks this summer - team is off 2 weeks and we have an extra week due to family obligation. Unless we have to be away during meet season right before an 'important' meet, I would not sweat it. Her coaches are firm believers in bodies needing a break, and an extra week during off-season will not make or break a skill. They have conditioning that is expected to be done during the off weeks, that is the most that is asked of the girls, and we remain active during vacations.

Is that three weeks straight without gym?

My two really enjoy it -- it's part of the vacation experience, as we go to the same place every year. This year, we will be on vacation right after our gym's annual shut down week, so they will be particularly keen. I'd just say the motivation has to be coming from the kid, not the parent, until the kid is at the level where s/he is refusing to go on vacation because of needing to be at practice.

(The boys' coach usually tells the boys, even the tiny L4s, to find a gym if they are out for a week or more, but most parents don't knock themselves out until later.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back