WAG Pre-team hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering how long the pre-teams at your gym train per week. My gym does 6-7 hours and I feel like that's a lot for pre-team....

our old gym was 3 hours per week for pre-team. But that is the tiny kids. I don't know how they would handle pre-team with older kids.

at our old gym pre-team was 8 hours. At the new gym there is no pre-team, there is level 1-2 team, they train 4 hours + 2 optional.

Our gym does not compete until new level 4. Our training team training for 5 goes 12 hours
These are girls age 6-9. The level 3 equivalent girls go 9. Level 2 go 6. Team means different things at different gyms. If a gym competes the lower levels 12 hours sound like a lot. But at some gyms, the girls would already be considered team for a year or two.

It's the pushing the memory a bit now, but I think L2 was 4 hours and level 3 was 6 hours (L3 might have been 9 hrs though :confused:). 6 hours was not a problem (we had some as young as 5 on pre-team). [These are old level numbers].

Last edited:
At one gym our L3's did 2 days a week, 2 or 3 hours. I subbed them a few times or warmed them up but can't really remember it that well (2011). My gym in 2012 did something similar. 3 days x 2 or 3 hours. I've seen as low as 4 hours to even 9 hours.

Ours is a minimum of 2 times a week for 2 hours. Many girls choose to come three times a week (or even four times a week in the summer).

Our lowest level pre team, equivalent to level 1, is a minimum of twice a week for 1.5 hours.

It depends on what your goal is, how you define pre-team, and the ages of the kids. No matter..... my preference would be a block of time at least 150 minutes long for two sessions, as a minimum, and three times a week just because you gotta figure out who's into the team culture (for the good of all of us) and who isn't.

I have a DS who just was invited to team, but the preteam was the same for boys and girls. 2 hours a week for 1.5 hours. The gymnast range from 3-6 years of age.

L1: 3.5 hours/week, 2 days x 1.75 hours, ages 4 - 7
L2: 5 hours/week, 2 days x 2.5 hours, ages 5-9
L3 (training alongside competitive L3s): 10.5 hours/week, 3 days x 3.5 hours, mostly age 7

Our preteam is 6 hours a week. They are training toward competing the new L3, and most are around age 6/7. When they move to the competititve L3 group, they will train 9.5 hours a week.

Ours was more equivalent to old level 2, they practiced 1.5hrs 2x/week. We start competing at new level 2, and those girls go 5 hrs a week.

We don't have a pre-team, but have team track classes--the one just before trying out for team meets twice a week for two hours a day.

although I live in Canada and it may be different the pre team girls at my gym train 2 times a week for 3 hours each class a total 6 hours a week some do go 9 hours in total training 3 days a week for 3 hours each class, depending on the kid. the pre team girls at my gym are also between the ages of 5 and 8 though because you can't compete in my province until your 8 years old .

We have 3 different pre teams at my dd gym. She is on pre-team B ( I think they are by age looking at the girls from each team we know). Group A and B (which are the younger two teams) go 1.5hrs 3x a week.. so 4.5 hours and PreTeam C goes 3 days a week at 2hrs per day... so 6hrs a week.

For preteam (old 3) at our current gym my dd did 2.5 hrs x 3 days per week. At our old gym she went 2 hrs x 1 day per week, which was not near enough.

There are more of advanced rec classes that feed into the pre team that go 1.5, 3 or 4 hours per week (ages 4-5 with a couple 6 year olds).
The pre team is either 6, 9 or 12 hours with kids ages 6-10.

Another Canadian example. No pre-team, but the pre-competitive track would be similar. Grouped by age (predominantly) 4-5 year olds - 2 days x 2.5 hrs. 6 year olds/Grade 1 - 2 days x 3 hrs until January, then 3 days x 3 hrs. 7 year olds/Grade 2 (first year competing in invitationals, usually old L3 to L5) - 3 days x 4 hours. 8 year olds/Grade 3 (competing invitationally usually old L4-L5, but sometimes higher) - 4 days x 4 hours, so 16 hours. At 9 the can compete provincially/nationally, so 16 hours +.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back