Pre team requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,
Right now i'm doing a rec gymnastics camp, but i saw a few girls who are on the rec team with me training as pre-team. As i saw them, i came to see that what they were doing was much more my level than the rec camp. I learned that the head coach picked the girls who could do all of the skills that were on the pre-team requirement sheet. I didn't get a good look at the requirement sheet, but from what i saw i was missing two skills: a pullup and of course, a back hip circle. I am getting really close to getting my BHC, but I'm thinking that maybe by the next rec camp, i should be able to get onto pre-team. I was wondering what things your pre-team does (our pre team is made up of level 2 almost 3 and 3 almost fours), and espescially if your pre-team is similar, i would like your input. Also, maybe some advice on how to gain arms strength for my pullup and core strength for my BHC? I know that if you have been following my posts, you might be thinking, hey, she just got on level two, why is she rushing to get onto pre team? So far, they are working on things (other than my BHC) that match up with what i need so it's not really a rush. Thanks!

I'm going away soon and I won't have access to a computer so, if anyone has answers, please post them soon! Sorry if this sounds rude!

For my gym we have pre-team tryouts and you get a grade from 1-3 on a list of skills, depending how good and clean you do the skills.
Here's the list of skills:
Beam:
Needle handstand on high beam
All the kicks and walks and stuff
Side handstand on high beam
Cartwheel on low beam

Bars:
Glide swing
Shoot through
Back hip circle undershoot onto a block

Floor:
Back walkover
Front Walkover
Backwards roll to push up with straight arms
Standing bhs or round off bhs
Round off
handstand hold for at least 3 seconds

Vault
Handstand flat back

For a bhc just make sure you do a lot of tuck ups, sit ups and v ups and shoulder shrugs to get your shoulders strong.
For arm strength do a lot of pushups, touching your nose to the ground, that helped me a lot!

Hope this helped! Make sure you ask your gym or someone that's on the preteam to see what skills your gym needs!

Needle scale/lever is basically one leg up in the air while standing on one leg and having your hands on the beam like a Handstand.

Back Hip Circle requires the ability to do a hollow hold and a lot of hollow rocks besides the ability to hold yourself. Pushup, Handstand, Bar supports holds. So lots of holding yourself up on your arms and hollow holds for time and as many hollow rocks as you can.

For pullups, just do as many pullups as you as often as you can till your arms don't want to work right anymore.

As you lack a pullup, I recommend lots of practice and doing them with your feet supported by the floor or a block.

[video=youtube;hTgVveOtwio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgVveOtwio[/video] You don't need anything that fancy.

For the weaker kids, they sit in a straddle (or pike) with the rope in front of their chest. Reach up with bent arms just above their forehead (easier starting out with bent arms) or reach up as high as possible. Pull butt off floor with heels remaining on floor. Repeat and switch hands after every repetition. Do as many as you can, rest awhile. Repeat.

Eventually pull off your butt with your heels in the air.

Get some rope at a hardware store, throw it over a tree branch or anything. Or you can hang rope off a home pullup bar.

Ok, I can do a needle lever, but not a needle handstand. Thank blairbob for all the advice. I think I'll do the rope thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back