Parents New Gymnastics Mom, Is Team an Option?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaciestar

Proud Parent
Hello!
I'm glad to be here. My daughter has been going to recreation classes for the last 10 months. She's almost at level 3 and has high hopes to one day join team. She just turned 9 years old and her gym is a junior Olympics gym. She goes 5 days a week (with private lesson) and try outs are in May. From what I understand, there's a long list of potential team/ pre-team girls. I'm not confident she'll move up since she's not a long timer. Here's my question... should she keep trying if she doesn't make it through this round? Is 10 to old to try again? It hurts to see her crushed. So far, she's proven the mental toughness and accepted criticism. TIA and I'll make sure to research older posts.

I would talk to her rec coach to let them know about her goals and desires!

And no, I don't think 10 would be too old. My daughter started team when she was nine, and while she is on the older side, she's definitely not among the oldest girls in her level. She loves every minute of her gym life, would 100 percent do it again!

I would talk to her rec coach to let them know about her goals and desires!

And no, I don't think 10 would be too old. My daughter started team when she was nine, and while she is on the older side, she's definitely not among the oldest girls in her level. She loves every minute of her gym life, would 100 percent do it again!
Thank you 😊 I appreciate the feedback as a newbie

It definitely depends on the gym in regards to age. I would speak to the front desk to make sure team is even a possibility. I would also look into other gyms in the area, possiblywith an xcel program. I really dont think privates are needed to make team either, especially if you arent sure she can even make team there.

Talk with her coaches. If she is doing privates, they should know her pretty well and know whether she is what they are looking for in a team gymnast. If they say that she is too old for their teams, inquire with other gyms in the area that do have older gymnasts on their lower level teams. She is not too old - you just need to find the right gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back