WAG Pre team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys! I am a pre team coach and we do the same thing pretty much every practice. I was wondering if you guys had an drills or stations that you guys do! Thanks!

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but for pre-team I would focus on building basics rather than skills.

Suggestions:
  • Work A LOT on flexibility, especially with the stiffer kids. It's a lot easier in gymnastics if you're flexible and a lot easier to become flexible when you're younger. The one for splits in this one was SUPER helpful - I would do this as a staple every day until everyone at least has one split down (better for 2)
  • You can also do fun 2 person flexibility stuff - teach the small people how to do it, and it will be fun. Trust me, lol. Like this stuff, but maybe not as extreme! Take advice from the rhythmics , especially people like Elizabet Vasileva, who transferred from rhythmics to artistic gymnastics - their dance skills are PERFECT
    coach-assists-a-young-gymnast-with-her-stretching-at-the-olympic-picture-id635932869
    stretching-extreme-example-l.jpg
  • I'm not sure how much you have for practice, but if you have lots of time, try adding "ballet" in once a week. Once again, look to the rhythmics. A rhythmic gymnast's extension is (usually) better than an artistic gymnast, and one reason is that they do ballet. Doesn't have to be a lot, or even real ballet, but just some basics.
  • For conditioning, if you do it like a race, it's usually more fun. Be VERY strict on form, though. Call out people as much as possible, so they know you're serious about it. Example: Teams of two. One is cardio, one is abs/legs/arms. One does the abs exercise (say 20 V-ups) and then the other has to run and do suicides or something. The first does a different ab exercise and then the second does more suicides or something. Winner gets a prize, and you switch jobs.

That's all I could think of. Hope it was helpful!

DD struggles with flexibility so I'm going to show her that video above for help with her splits. It looks awesome and she is sooooo close to being flat but just can't seem to get down the last little bit. Hopefully it helps her.

Hey guys! I am a pre team coach and we do the same thing pretty much every practice. I was wondering if you guys had an drills or stations that you guys do! Thanks!
I would look at whatever the goals you have for pre-team and then search drills for those things. Create some new fun stations Also, on some days make contests out of different things they are working ie handstand holds etc.

I would be careful about the 2 person stretching as suggested above. Done improperly they can be quite harmful.

Maybe come up with few fun dance skills to have them try every so often to mix-in with the basic skills they are learning for the compulsory routines.

On tramp or tumble track play add-on. Keeping the skills they add-on within their range of ability.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back