Prep optional instead of level 6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd's gym is now doing prep optional instead of level 6. Does anyone else's gym do this?

I don't know all of the details, but I know that they aren't doing the lower levels of prep optional, just the intermediate/silver/and - or advanced/gold (or whatever it might be called depending on the league).

And since our gym does not currently belong to USA Gymnastics (we compete AAU and might join something called America Kids or Amerikids) will the girls eventually have to score out of level 6? I thought you had to get a score in level 6 to move to level 7. Apparently, the "goal" for this prep optional instead of level 6 is to make level 7...to get their routines ready for level 7 and start adding in the bigger skills when they come.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There has been a fair amount of debate on this issues on CB lately. Do a search and see what pops up. But yes, in USAG, you still have to get the move-up score (31) to do level 7. I'm a little confused that you say your gym doesn't do USAG but you're still working towards level 7?

But regardless, good luck to your DD as she moves on and gets to work on her own routines with her own music. Very exciting!

AAU is different. They have compulsory levels and optional levels, in order from lowest to highest, Intermediate Optional --> Advanced Intermediate Optional --> Level 7 ---> Level 8 ---> Open Optional. I don't think you have to "score out" in AAU.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back