WAG Presses with long legs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really want to get my straddle press to handstand for an audition (ballet/ acro part) I have in three weeks. I had it about 6 months ago but since then I have quit gym and lost some strength but not a whole lot. Also I have very long legs (I am 5' 8") aka tall for a gymnast. I would love any drills or anything that might be able to help!!!! Thank you!!!!

Lots of presses, lots of Handstands, Handstand to straddle stand or straddle-L/seated straddle. Straddle-L holds and lifts. Presses against the wall for reps.

As frequently as you can throughout the day like "Grease the Groove" which means lots of sets or reps spread out through the day. Not really max efforts but just get in some reps here and there.

As the parent of two long-legged gymnasts, I can testify to the necessity for multiple reps and then some more reps! The one good thing is that you'll look fantastic once you get it with straight legs and pointed toes . . .

If you have or can build a set of parallettes, they're great for the drills BlairBob mentions.

Reps! And go as slowly and controlled as you can. This is a tough one! On my daughters team I see the longer girls struggle the most with this skill. My daughter is tiny and got it early but I've always felt for the long legged gymnasts!

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Would doing presses in the pool help at all or am I just wasting my time?

I wouldn't. I can't imagine you'd get stronger. In the water your buoyant. Stick too slow controlled movement outside of the water;)

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back