Protein in urine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We just came back from DD's annual checkup. She was great according to the doc. Her weight and height are on the same curve she has been on. She is in great shape. She got 3 shots.
Concern, she had some protein in her urine. We have to redo the test. The Dr said she sometimes sees it in her athletes. Anyone heard of this? She told me not to panic, but of course I am. :(

It is fairly commen in kids who are involved in strenuous exercise. As long as the levels stay low, probably nothing to worry about. Basically it reflects how much her muscles have been worked.

Push more fluids before, during and after practice and absolutely on days when she has no practice. Hopefully the repeat test will not show anything to be concerned about. Glad she's in tip top shape!

Thank you! I have been making her drink all day long. We had a pool party yesterday for her bday and she swam all day and then drank rootbeer. This is not her norm. I think that may have played a part in it as well. She is now allowed no sodas until this is corrected. I just went into panic mode.

Gym Law Mom is correct - it's a fairly common issue with young athletes, especially in the summer. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!

As an aside - I see that the rain held off for her party. Glad to hear it - I bet she had a blast!

proteinuria is pretty common in the general population as it is. it is also common in athletes. means nothing until the 2nd test. don't fret.

Thank you all so much. I will drop off another sample on Weds. I am making her drink and drink and drink. And no sodas.

Thanks for asking about the party! It was cloudy and windy but no rain. We saw about four hours. They had a great time! Her gym coaches even came which she loved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back