WAG Question about beam flic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Let me preface this by saying that I avoid giving my daughter any gymnastics instruction, as I try to just be a cheerleader. BUT, she is doing lots of gym around the house, and I'm worried she is going to form a bad habit. She recently got her BWO on the 2 ft beam (which was a huge accomplishment because she was very scared), and now she is working her flic on our floor beam at home. I don't want to discourage her from working on it since it is such a turnaround for her and really seems to be helping her confidence. The problem is that even though she has a beautiful flic on floor, when she moves it to the floor beam it gets very crunchy. Her legs are very bent off the beam (like 90 degrees), and she is splitting really late, to the extent it sometimes seems closer to a two foot BHS than a step out. Any advice on how to help her improve it?

I would very much discourage working that skill at home. Just asking for trouble on so many levels, including the one you fear.

I dislocated both my kneecaps doing back handsprings on my balance beam at home. And I was already competing them at the time, not just learning them. Beyond getting injured, the coach is going to hate having to go back and try to fix all those bad habits! Maybe you can encourage her to work presses, handstands, and dance skills instead.

You guys are right...I know I'd be thinking the same thing if I were reading my post. :) It's just so hard to discourage her after she finally found her confidence. I'll talk to her coach.

I think by the time they get to flic on beam, it is time to stop practising new skills on home beams. I think home beams can be good for practising things like turns but not the serious tumbling skills.

Let me preface this by saying that I avoid giving my daughter any gymnastics instruction, as I try to just be a cheerleader. BUT, she is doing lots of gym around the house, and I'm worried she is going to form a bad habit. She recently got her BWO on the 2 ft beam (which was a huge accomplishment because she was very scared), and now she is working her flic on our floor beam at home. I don't want to discourage her from working on it since it is such a turnaround for her and really seems to be helping her confidence. The problem is that even though she has a beautiful flic on floor, when she moves it to the floor beam it gets very crunchy. Her legs are very bent off the beam (like 90 degrees), and she is splitting really late, to the extent it sometimes seems closer to a two foot BHS than a step out. Any advice on how to help her improve it?

the first bold contradicts all of your 'coaching' language used.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back