Parents Question about gym safety.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Our gym owners opened a new gym in Fall of 2010. They were followed over by many of the team gymnasts at the gym they coached at before. They really are great coaches. They started a new PrepOp team and rec program that have both grown enormously. The Prep Op team is full. Problem is, they outgrew the physical space 6 month after it opened. They are continuously adding new equipment to a limited space. Literally, every space is filled with some piece of equipment. 4-5 feet outside the bathroom doors lies a vault runway. If a little kid forgets and runs straight out of the bathroom, there could very easily be a collison. They just keep adding new stuff. There is a full size balance beam now within feet of a wall. It's starting to give me the heebiejeebies. Originally there were about 5 full sized and three low balance beams in one area. That number has doubled. My little one is very closely monitored, and they mostly practice off in corners, so Im not too worried about her for now. But my older one uses most of the equipment. Parents are saying jokingly to the owner that they need a bigger gym, me included. There is something to do with the lease right now. Supposedly a bigger gym is in future plans, but I don't know when. The program is great, but the gym is so crowded. Are there regulations on how far stuff needs to be apart from each other? Is this normal for every square inch to be covered? Every time you think nothing new can be added, something new shows up. What do you guys think

I would certainly be worried about safety in this set-up. If they are stuck in the lease, maybe they can find another smaller space to rent close by for the preschool and beginner rec levels.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Our gym is pretty packed with equipment, but I don't consider it unsafe. The kids learn real quick to watch for other people and be careful where they walk. I am amazed at how efficiently our gym has used the space it has. I see bigger gyms that don't use it as well. Are you sure it is unsafe or does it just look more crowded than it did before? The vault runway does make me nervous, but other than that? A beam near a wall isn't that big of a deal to me (I could be wrong here). My younger dd does certain skills using the wall near one of the beams - it helps her learn them. And it would depend on which way it was against the wall. If it is really a concern, maybe you need to talk seriously with the gym owner rather than joking with him.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back