Reason The Floor Is Blue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if anybody knows why the typical color of a gymnastics floor is dark blue. If you where to ask anybody on the street what color the floor is they would tell you blue. Who came up with the color? Of course you can find other colors, gymnova for example is white, with a bit of red. I have also seen floors that are completly red or purple. Sometimes in pictures there are light blue floors, grey or yellow. What color is your gym's floor? (not the floor floor, but the spring floor) I was also wondering if you know why mats are the color they are? (red, blue, black ect.)
(Sorry if this theard is posted in the wrong area, I wasn't sure if it should go here or in question and answer.)

I've seen at least a few red floors.

I think it's not so much that it has to be blue as that it has to be a different color from the walls and the ceilings.

Ours is blue, but there is a gym in the area that their floor is PURPLE(ironically they're team color is purple too )

My old gym and current gym floor's are blue with a red border and sides. The first gym I attended had a purple floor though!

Ours is blue but Ive seen as many red as I have blue and one white (out of state meet)

I once played on trampoline at a gym that had orange mats and for some reason had a big orange rectangle (exactly the same shade of orange) drawn on the wall behind the trampoline.

So I was working a 1/1 in 1/1 out on that tramp with a friend throwing a mat in under me for the landing. I spotted something orange and rectangular, used that to orient myself, and openned up to land at the end of the double-double.

That landing was not fun.

ours is blue. not really light blue, not really dark. I think the standard blue. the border is blue, the mats are blue. Blue blue blue..lol

Not sure if this is the reason why, but a blue background is really good for photography and television. White or black don't photograph that well and you want something that skin tones will stand out against but doesn't reflect lights.

In color theory, blue is considered a passive color. It is a background (the sea/they sky) that we are used to seeing action against.

Red, on the other hand, is an active color. It's used for warnings and evokes an action.

Gymnova is beige with red. Popular in many areas of Europe and Canada

Spieth is light blue. Popular in Germany

J&F usually red, for the Olympics in both Athens and Beijing it was light blue though. Popular in Beligum/Netherlands. Used for major comps

Baenfer & AAI are a darker Blue. Baenfer also has some yellow in it.
AAI: US, Baenfer Germany

Acromat is a medium shade of blue / Australia

Continental is grey. / UK

that's the brands most used in North America and Europe.

At our gym, the floor is blue and we have a scattering of mats that are red, blue, yellow, and pink. :) At the gym that our gym is purchasing in order to expand in a nearby city, the floor is orange. :) I had never seen one that color before. It was the previous owners gym color.

We have 1 red floor and 1 blue floor. Everyone hates the red floor. It's a different brand, newer, and isn't as bouncy as the blue.

Our gym has two locations - in the "main" gym, the floor is the usual blue color. In the "second" gym, the floor is bright purple. Everyone raves about the purple floor. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back