Parents refusing to go to practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daughter is refusing to go to practice today. We are going through a heatwave and the gym is not air-conditioned. I could not convince her to go to practice. Although I agree that is too hot they give them breaks. She really does not like going in the summer when they run and condition alot so I am hoping that she is just not using this as an excuse to get out of practice. She seems to go through this every summer but in the winter when she is competing she went 4 days a week and never once complained. She is usually fine the 1st week when they have camp with class kids it is fun then the next week she starts to complain. For the first regular day for the past 3 years she has gotten sick including last week when it was also hot. She is convinced the heat will make her sick.

Heat wave here too! Our gym is closed for this week for holidays but we also don't have air conditioning. The coaches do modify the training in extreme heat conditions. They will do goal setting, mental prep less intense etc. Here it was 42 Celsius with humidity yesterday. My double it and add 32 math says that 114 F!!!. The heat will pass and I'm sure she will want to retutrn to gym when it does. My appetite kind of disappears in the heat, if this happens to your daughter that could explain why she feels sick.

Our gym is roasting too, no ac and it is about 40c with the humidity. The coach is smart and cools them down a lot and hoses them down at the end of gym. Right now it is all uptraining, so Baby Bog is eager to go. Can she train a few less days in the summer, maybe three days a week instead of five.

We got a slushy on the way home yesterday, a little treat can make it all seem fun!

Heat wave here on the east coast as well. It is supposed to get to 101F today and tomorrow and my kids are in day camp all week, plus dd has practice this evening from 4:30-8:30pm. This week is "Water Week" at camp, so they have a portable pool out back to wade in plus some slip n slides, and they are going to play water balloon games. There are tons of fans in the gym (no A/C) so at least there is some circulation. My dd doesn't complain too much about the heat, so at least that is a good thing.

Make sure your dd stays well hydrated and drinks plenty of water. Maybe send some popsicles to the gym to store in the freezer for the team for a snack. That might perk her up a bit.

A/C usually doesn't cut it in this kind of temps (unless there's plenty in the tuition to cover the utilities). We have A/C but it was just as hot with it on, so why bother. Combined it with it being the 4th yesterday, only 7 kids total showed up. All they did were taking drinks all day with some skills and conditioning in between. So, Panda's Mom, she is probably not missing much and you can let her of the hook this time (aside from the other recurring thing you mentioned).

On the east coast here too.... My DD's gym actually felt quite comfortable yesterday, but the Owner/HC came over and said, "yes, it feels great, but I haven't seen the bill yet!".... so I'm assuming that if it's ridiculously high (we all know it will be), that that A/C may be turned quite high during the next month!!! We'll see . . .

Well I am happy to report that daughter when to practice tonight without any complaining. This despite that the heatwave is still going,we are also in the east,PA and I think it was 101 today. I did not force her to eat but I told her she could eat when she came home. I made sure she drank alot of fluids.

Glad to hear she went. I pulled my girls out of practice a little early on Tuesday bedause it was so nasty! At least there is supposed to be a little relief today (it is "only" supposed to go up to 90!)

This is kind of weird to me that this issue is so prevalent. I am in the Atlanta area (deep South). We've been in, let's count, 5 gyms over the years and DS is in the first one that is not successfully and completely air conditioned. But all the other ones are.

I don't care for my current arrangement since as a parent, I'm inhibited about taking my shirt off and sticking my head in the water fountain. DS is still in 90-120 minute workouts and sometimes I just get sick of driving home and back depending on the day.

The only decent place to work is upstairs, and when I turned on the industrial fan the other day I thought I was in a convection oven. I've never had it feel hotter for being in front of a huge fan. I went back downstairs speedy quick.

Hot in summer, cold in winter gym is maybe a little cheaper than some of the others, but not crazily so.

Fortunately I am hypothyroid and was raised in Florida.

I can't even imagine NOT having air conditioning in the gym or any other place for that matter. I live in south Texas and it is hot and humid. I don't even like to walk from the front door to the house. DD's gym is hot, but they have the A/C on. I will never complain again about it being a little hot in the gym. The girls never complain, but the parents do.:D

This week has been much better with the heat so far daughter did not refuse to go to practice or feel sick at practice. I quess where we live in PA is not as hot as Texas so maybe it is just not economically logical to airconditioning in the gym. Daughter has 1 more week until she goes to IGC she is so looking forward to it. I think a week break from her home gym in another gym will do her good although I am sure she will miss her coaches. I believe IGC is airconditioned too!

Glad to hear it's a bit better for you. As a former Texas gal who is now in Pennsylvania too, I'll take PA heat over TX heat anyday.

BTW, I realized from an older post of yours that our daughters are in the same league.

Suck it up. To some degree, they will adapt if they just stick through it. Of course, it is necessary to hydrate and blow air and mist. I like giving the kids ice water or ice cubes to suck on. I won't allow popsicles but I make up frozen orange juice cubes that are basically popsicles for snack time.

Simple solution for boys. Skin down to shorts. Throw a tshirt on if there is a skill being worked on where the shirt may help the spot due to the skin being slick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back