WAG Region 8 level 9. Tough scoring? Or something else....?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
So out of 362 AA competitors at Level 9 region 8 championships, 90 of the girls competing AA did not score the 34 (which was required at state to compete at Regionals.) This is 25% of the girls which seems really high. So, do you think the regional scoring was really tough, the state scoring was easy, or that many girls had a bad day?

Can you clarify that each event is scored out of a maxcimum of 10? Over here we use an open scoring system so pink and fluffy scored 11.350 on her vaults last competition .

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My Dd competed this weekend. (She does not fall into the under 34 score category)
Judging was a bit tougher then normal, but I expected that. Beam was definitely judged hard. Girls were getting hit hard on jump connections. If they aren't fast and smooth you were only getting partial credit or no credit at all. My Dd scored almost .5 lower on beam then she has all season, she did a good routine but was dinged in those jump connections.
Bars, and floor were consistent with her scores throughout the season. Vault was lower but she didn't do her best vault.
I also saw a lot of beam and bar falls.

My Dd finished in the top half of her age group (tough age division) All in all we were pleased.

The judging gets "pickier" starting at "states," and scores go down a bit at each successive meet. It happens this way because the more experienced judges work regionals and above.........pretty much a reflection of the kids who move through to each competition. By the time it gets down to JO's, the system has sifted out kids and judges who aren't as able as those who are qualified to compete and judge. Geez, many of the judges at the JO meet have been central figures in the national program, or been national team members and competed internationally, and those judges will apply to the kids before them, the same standards they had to compete under at worlds and the olympics.

Eh, judging in my state is noticeably easier at states, probably because it's such a big meet and scores get pushed upwards.

If you look at their state meets, I am sure you will find a lot who just squeaked by with a 34. Add to that - nerves, tougher judging and a lot of travel time ( 15 hour drive or at least 7 hours of airport time for girls in our part of the state), it doesn't surprise me that many fell below. I am sure some were hurt too and didn't compete all 4 events

Could be a combination of nerves, tired from traveling, slightly more critical judges.

Just for comparison, at Region 7 Level 9 we had 390 girls compete. Of those, 65 did not score 34.00 but only 43 of these girls competed all 4 events. We thought scoring was slightly tougher on floor, beam and bars, but consistent within each session. For vault, scores were pretty consistent with what the girls (from our state, not only our team) were scoring all season (at least in my DD's and her teammates sessions).

So out of 362 AA competitors at Level 9 region 8 championships, 90 of the girls competing AA did not score the 34 (which was required at state to compete at Regionals.) This is 25% of the girls which seems really high. So, do you think the regional scoring was really tough, the state scoring was easy, or that many girls had a bad day?

We were there! I only found the scoring to be harder on beam. I also know that one girl from our gym scored significantly lower than at state bc of nerves, a very off day for her.
I was shocked at how many rough/scary bar routines I saw at Regionals. I just assumed they would all be really good at the Regional level! Whew! I was holding my breath for some girls! It looked like some girls were chunking skills they had just learned last week.

From the other regions I have looked at, Region 8 had on average double or more the % of girls under the 34.00 (and I only counted those who competed all 4 events. It just seemed to me like 1 out of 4 girls was a really high number. I would have guessed it to be more like 10% which is what the other regions tended to be. I just thought it was interesting....

This is just my opinion, but I feel like region 8, and 1 certain state in particular in Region 8, has much tougher judging than other regions. When I compare scores from State and then Regionals, some states do seem to always score higher. And some regions. This is very obvious on YouTube. I've watched routines with such obvious mistakes and deductions that even a lay person can pick out, and in my head I've generalized a score by what I see, and they show their score as some times 1-2 pints higher (not tenths) than I anticipated. And I know in our state/region the score would have been much lower.

I've seen videos that tout the perfect 10.00, and I can't believe the errors I'm seeing and yet it still received a 10.00. So that's just my opinion, I'm not claiming any factual evidence, just my observations and experiences.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The most competitive regions are 1, 5, and 3 (I'm not putting any particular order, but I think most people would generally acknowledge that). Those regions may seem to have "higher" scores, but actually it's kind of the opposite - they also have higher numbers of extremely competent high level gymnasts. At the national competitions, these kids score just as high and do very well.

Indidnt say most competitive, I said toughest scoring. When we've travelled to other regions for an invitational, our girls' scores are often a little higher than we normally see. Like I said, no hard scientific proof, just observation and experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back